North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › "Objectivist Easter" this Saturday!

"Objectivist Easter" this Saturday!

Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
When Miss Rand was first invited to speak [to the Ford Hall Forum] in 1961, she was reluctant to accept. She did not know the Forum's distinguished history, and expected a group of unruly antagonists; but she went anyway, with misgivings—and she loved it. The audience that evening did not agree with her, but they listened, then peppered her with intelligent questions, the kind she always enjoyed answering. "The Forum," she told me later, "sponsors many speakers with whom I disagree totally. But it is honest. Since it is open to new ideas, it truly is an intellectual organization and it deserves to be supported." Accordingly, she agreed to return year after year, and her admirers came to expect it; they started to gather every April in Boston from all over the country (and then the world). The New York Times once described these gatherings as the "Objectivist Easter." I accept the term, since the word "Easter" comes from Eos, the Greek goddess of the dawn, and means, symbolically, the festival celebrating the rebirth of light after the darkness of winter.

I want to thank the Ford Hall Forum for making these Easter gatherings--and along with them, ten of the longest chapters in this book--possible. (Many of Miss Rand's other Ford Hall talks have been reprinted in other anthologies of hers.) In particular, I want to salute the guiding spirit of the Forum, Frances Smith. Her sense of intellectual honor and rigor, her scrupulous objectivity, her authentic enthusiasm for ideas and for philosophy—all this, in our age, is a rare value, for which the citizens of Boston should be (and I think are) deeply grateful.

Leonard Peikoff, The Voice of Reason, Introduction, 1988

From the North Texas Objectivist Society

Would you enjoy a festival celebrating the rebirth of light after the darkness of winter? Please join us for our own "Objectivist Easter" this Saturday!

If you can join us, please RSVP ASAP TO HELP US PLAN!

Old Toad, Organizer

North Texas Objectivist Society