North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › No Substitute For Victory

No Substitute For Victory

Hammad Hussain
user 2469690
San Marcos, TX
Post #: 58
In case you have not already read it, I highly recommend this article from _The Objective Standard_. It is one of the best I've read on what to do about militant Islam.

--Ahmad Hassan
A former member
Post #: 53
Good recommendation, Ahmad. I read John Lewis' article a couple weeks ago and loved it, especially the comparison between how America dealt with Japan and how America is dealing with Iraq. He gets straight to the problem of America's selfless, compassionate pseudo-war. He indicates not only how to fight the war, but also that this proper method has actually worked. If only a poweful politician would (or could) understand what a man like Lewis has to say.
A former member
Post #: 28
This guy has a good attitude, but his logic is all messed up.
A former member
Post #: 158
"No Substitute for Victory" The Defeat of Islamic Totalitarianism by John Lewis in The Objective Standard is an excellent article on how we should be dealing with Iran and other militant Islamic countries; and how what we are doing now only encourages them to prepare for further attacks.

So long as the type of mentality that believes that man must be governed by religious idealists who hate rationality and individualism are permitted to have a country or an enclave in a country set to destroy us by any means possible, then we will be in a state of perpetual war. The only way to end this is to take away their country from them, by not permitting such mentalities to have the abilities to enforce their code by force of government or use those government structures to wage war against us, either directly or by proxy.

Destroying Iran will show them that we are serious about protecting our rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness on earth via rationality.

We need to state this openly and then destroy our enemies forthright.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$­$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Philosophic essays based on the philosophy of Ayn Rand

www.appliedphilosophyonline.com­

Applied Philosophy Online .com

Where Ideas Are Brought Down to Earth!

tmiovas@appliedphilosophyonline.com

All rights reserved 2006 by Thomas M. Miovas, Jr.

Chuck
SmithChuck
Mesquite, TX
Post #: 38
This guy has a good attitude, but his logic is all messed up.

shock
Nathan,
Please point out and explain the logical fallacies I missed, so I can re-evaluate this article accordingly.
I've been steering people to this article for weeks - everyone I know with an email address (except NTOS folk, who I assume watch the ARI, capmag & TOS pages).
If a re-reading is in order, please help me out.
A former member
Post #: 54
Nathan,

I would also like to know where you find a flaw in Lewis' logic. When I read the article, I thought his logic was the key strength to his argument.
A former member
Post #: 1
Ok, sorry for the delay. I had a problem with my email.

The article makes a false analogy by suggesting that this war is similar to World War II, which it is not.

It also creates a false dilemma by saying that to defeat Militant Islam requires the defeat of the Iranian church-state. It does not.

Now I'll discuss brainwashing.
Before the defeat of Germany and Japan in world war two their respective governments were trying to convince their respective populations that they were winning the war. When the Allies defeated them those populations realized that their governments had been lying to them and decided to listen to whoever was pointing a gun at them (that would be the Allies).

Before we defeat Iran (which we would) their government-clergy will be telling them the same thing they've been telling them: that we're godless warmongers who just want to bomb their cities and take their country. If we then bomb their cities and take their country they're going to say "Wow, the Imam was right". They'll be humiliated and fall back on their religion for emotional stability (it happens every time) and they'll fight a war from the shadows just like Afghanistan and Iraq and Palestine and Chechnya and Somalia and Algeria and Sri Lanka and Yemen and Indonesia and the Philipinnes...