North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Ayn Rand No Longer Has Script Approval

Ayn Rand No Longer Has Script Approval

A former member
Post #: 61
A former member
Post #: 157
After reading that news story by Kimberly Brown in the New York Times regarding turning Atlas Shrugged into a movie or a mini-series, it is any wonder that Miss Rand wanted final script approval? Especially when the story of freedom is presented as being "apocalyptic" and the fluently integrated dialog is presented as "Castro-like in length." Of course, we are led to believe that Miss Rand was really just paranoid, instead of being rationally interested in her novel being accurately portrayed. Perhaps a whole bunch of people couldn't wait for Miss Rand to die so that they could generate a smear campaign against her.

Personally, I don't have much hope that the movie will be true to the novel in any significant way.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$­$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Philosophic essays based on the philosophy of Ayn Rand

www.appliedphilosophyonline.com­

Applied Philosophy Online .com

Where Ideas Are Brought Down to Earth!

tmiovas@appliedphilosophyonline.com

All rights reserved 2006 by Thomas M. Miovas, Jr.

Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 365
I have found that most books are better than the movies they are transformed into. I don't expect anything different from this upcoming movie.
I found the article interesting (despite the silly tilte of the aticle. No duh! She has been dead for about 25 years now). I thought it was interesting to read about some of the players involved in the movie drama.
Chris J.
gearjammer351
Dallas, TX
Post #: 47
Personally, I don't have much hope that the movie will be true to the novel in any significant way.

I agree with Tom
Tom
TAA1
McKinney, TX
Post #: 27
Tom,

I understand your point--but here are a few things to consider:

Baldwin (The Producer) has stated that he is big fan of Ayn Rands.

Even Jolie has said that she doesn't want any changes to Ayn Rand's dialog. Yes, she is a freak--but who in Hollyweird isn't?

Wallace--the current screen writer--has described himself politically as a Constitutionalist. I would not be surprised if he also ends up being the director.

And the biggest factor of all:

The film will be so controversial that it will sell millions of copies of Atlas and millions of movie tickets. I feel very confident about this. Controversy sells! It is in their financial interest to stay true to the book.

Tom A.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 378
Bad publicity is better than no publicity.