North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › NTOS: Informal Agenda -- Future Management of NTOS

NTOS: Informal Agenda -- Future Management of NTOS

Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
To All,

I think it is time for us to consider the future management of NTOS.

THE FORMATION OF OUR SOCIETY

I and our Assistant Organizers have been working hard to build the North Texas Objectivist Society for all of us to enjoy. As we voluntarily assumed this effort, we also assumed "ownership" of our fledgling Society, controlling its initial direction and management.

This entailed more than just organizing some parties. I think that if we are to have any hope of growing beyond a small group of friends, our Society must not be based on personal whims or inarticulate ideas. Crucial questions must be answered about what we are doing and how.

Based on various experiences, through endless discussions at the Ranch with our participants, and with the advice and help of the Assistant Organizers, I have committed my answers to these basic questions on our NTOS "About" page at http://aynrand.meetup...­

TRANSITION TO NEW OWNERSHIP

Is the fact that I have carried a lot of the water for a couple of years sufficient to make me king forever? Does being first to start walking in a particular direction qualify me as a leader? If I insist on staying in control indefinitely, would it help us grow or stunt our growth? Do you trust me? What happens if I quit or can't do it anymore? What happens if I make mistakes from time to time? What happens if someone does not like me personally? If this is "my" group, would such a person feel comfortable attending?

Since the beginning, I have had the vision that for our Society to grow and thrive, it must be owned by the society itself. It must become a formal organization, its own entity, not just a gathering at a friend's house.

I am now working on plans for how to manage a transition to new ownership. If the new owners so desire, they should be able to replace me and choose new leadership.

For this purpose, I am starting by considering readily available references regarding corporate management structures.

THE FIRST STEP -- IDENTIFYING WHO SHOULD BE THE NEW "OWNERS"

But who in particular should "own" our Society? On what basis? For how long?

In other words, who among us should choose the next management? By what proportion of representation? By what standards?

By analogy to a corporate entity, which I think NTOS should eventually become, who among us should be considered our "voting shareholders"? We need them to vote for management, e.g., a Board of Directors, because to have all the shareholders vote on every issue and detail would be too unweildy.

I think this is the first step to consider. For example, for a member in good standing under our community standards, his interest in voting in an election on the next management of the Society could be based on the following guiding principles, in descending order of priority:

(1) Being an adult, e.g., at least 18 years of age and otherwise competence to contract.

(2) Personal participation in the Society, e.g., one vote of representation for each social event attended during the course of the year before an election, perhaps with some minimum number of attendances to be eligible at all.

(3) Financial contribution to the Society, e.g., one vote of representation for each $20 contribution to the Society during the course of the year before an election, perhaps with a limit on how may votes could be had based on financial contributions.

Would these encourage participation and financial contribution to NTOS? What would be the disadvantages or problems?

This will take some time to think through. But I think we are ready to get started, and it should make for some fun and challenging discussions.

PLEASE JOIN US TO DISCUSS THESE IMPORTANT ISSUES!

I hope you can join us for discussions of these issues this coming Saturday, January 27, 2007. It might be quite lively, and I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

And please RSVP at the following link to help us plan and let others know if you will be joining us!

-- Todd
http://aynrand.meetup...­

Edited to correct those pesky "?" marks Meetup's system substitutes for unrecgonized characters, such as long dashes. Also fixed an incomplete idea in one paragraph re voting for management to avoid unweildy elections on every issue.