North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Our Techno-Utopian Future: Fallacies and Predictions

Our Techno-Utopian Future: Fallacies and Predictions

David V.
HeroicLife
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 62
Send an Email Post a Greeting
A former member
Post #: 64
Don't forget to mention your endorsement of "scientists" who think robots and men will become indistinguishable from each other.
David V.
HeroicLife
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 63
Don't forget to mention your endorsement of "scientists" who think robots and men will become indistinguishable from each other.
Can you expand on that? I'm not really sure what you're referring to.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 379
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member

Who was it that said that good technology will be indistinguishable from magic? What you said reminded me of that.

I have to run, so I haven't had time to read the whole article, but wanted to comment on this:

"Instead of claws, fangs, or the heightened senses of animals, we have our minds and our hands. Shackling them would only lead to our extinction."

Well said. How often do animals lover condemn animals condemn pet owners for declawing their cats? Yet, humans are expected to do this to themselves.

I am looking forward to reading the rest later.
Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 256

Who was it that said that good technology will be indistinguishable from magic? What you said reminded me of that.
It was Arthur C. Clarke I believe. But I am curious as to the meaning of this statement too. Is it mocking the idea or those trying to achieve it?

- Travis
A former member
Post #: 175
The error 404, File not found, message when one clicks on the city in the moon picture (the first one) is rather amusing. The server claims that you, the viewer, stole the page and asks you to return it.

Hal...open the pod bay doors...Hal?

hahahaha!
Dan
dbclawyer
Allen, TX
Post #: 103
Hal...open the pod bay doors...Hal?

hahahaha!

Pretty funny.
David V.
HeroicLife
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 64
The error 404, File not found, message when one clicks on the city in the moon picture (the first one) is rather amusing. The server claims that you, the viewer, stole the page and asks you to return it.
Arg! Thanks for pointing that out.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 382
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
Speaking of technology, when are they going to make a PEN with spell check?
A former member
Post #: 5
Allow me to expand on this. On your forum objectivismonline.net, you made these two posts.

GreedyCapitalist
post Feb 22 2005, 12:31 AM
Chat Nick: DavidV
Name: David

QUOTE(WI_Rifleman @ Feb 20 2005, 10:33 PM)
The thread on immortality through technology got me thinking. So I ended up doing a little internet research on Ray Kurzwiel. It seems that him and his like believe in a period in time when technology will be so powerful that predicting it would be completely useless. They call this time period "The Singularity".

Umm, this is all fine science fiction, but it?s totally arbitrary."

Then a year later you posted this:

GreedyCapitalist
Chat Nick: DavidV
Name: David

"QUOTE(GreedyCapitalist @ Feb 22 2005, 12:31 AM) *
Umm, this is all fine science fiction, but it?s totally arbitrary.

Funny that since I wrote that statement, I've become a faithful disciple of the Singularity Church. I now believe that it is probable that the aforementioned godhood will occur around 2025-2030, and expect to stick around for at least the next couple dozen billion years. (Either that, or to become a carbon-based foodstuff during the Nanonbot Revolution, and there's no point worrying about that.) Certainly, I don't expect our current civilization to survive in recognizable form over 50 years.

Radical as it may seem, the evidence for the singularity is all around us, and I've found it irrefutable. I suggest looking at one of these resources for more info:
http://www-rohan.sdsu...­
http://en.wikipedia.o...­
The Singularity Is Near (Repent! Repent!)"

(Editted for web access)

It is obvious this theory is unfounded, as well as anyone's support of it. This is what Chad was talking about.

If anyone wishes to read the rest of this thread, it is found here:
http://forum.objectiv...­