North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Art Show Next Meeting at the Ranch on March 3, 2007

Art Show Next Meeting at the Ranch on March 3, 2007

Santiago V.
sanjavalen
Dallas, TX
Post #: 179
This is a suggestion I talked about earlier with some folks.

I have in my possession one piece of art from the Quent Cordaire institute, and admiring it the other day I was wondering what other fine pieces of art that other Objectivists might appreciate are not being appreciated because we have them sequestered away in our homes!

So, as long as the host is OK with it (of course,) I'd like to bring mine in for the next meeting and urge anyone else with some good art (posters, paintings, whatever) to bring theirs in so we can all have a good look in it, hopefully in a small area where the kids won't be running through every few minutes.

What do you guys think? Would anyone else be interested in viewing and (best-case) also showing some good art?

Organizer's Note:
I edited the title of this thread to include the date.
Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 411
Hi Santiago,

Thanks for making this suggestion and asking what I think. It sounds like a good idea to me.

Of course, you know the limits of the environment we have at "the Ranch," so if you think we can make it work, you are welcome to bring your piece and organize others to do so, too.

-- Todd
Dan
dbclawyer
Allen, TX
Post #: 104
Excellent idea.

I have an advertisement from the army in WWII. It is a magazine cutout that, while not fine art, has a picture and a request for airborne voluntaries. I always thought there was something truly heroic about it and I would love to bring it as well.

Dan
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 390
The only "artwork" we have is an awesome canvass painting of Calvin&Hobbes. I will leave it at home, thus avoiding bringing up discussions of copyright issues. =P

I think your idea is a fab one, Santiago. I am looking forward to seeing it, and Dan's piece as well.
Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 430
To all:

Santiago made a suggestion on our NTOS message board that we have a small art show at our next event this Saturday, March 3, 2007.

I like this idea, and with only a few days to go until this Saturday, I thought I should promote it a little bit more.

I suggest that we keep it rather informal, as an addition to our informal social gathering. We will put the art on some kind of display and see what discussions the pieces might stir up.

Those of you who have been out to "the Ranch" know the limits of our home and that we can get pretty busy, but I am sure we can accommodate putting up a few pieces. I might move the art pieces to a safe place out of the way after a while, though, if they seem at risk in any way. While we will take care, please don't bring something that is too valuable for you to make the small risk of showing here.

So far, we have two "entries:"

SANTIAGO WROTE:
"I have in my possession one piece of art from the Quent Cordaire institute, and admiring it the other day I was wondering what other fine pieces of art that other Objectivists might appreciate are not being appreciated because we have them sequestered away in our homes!"

So, as long as the host is OK with it (of course,) I'd like to bring mine in for the next meeting and urge anyone else with some good art (posters, paintings, whatever) to bring theirs in so we can all have a good look in it, hopefully in a small area where the kids won't be running through every few minutes.

What do you guys think? Would anyone else be interested in viewing and (best-case) also showing some good art?"

DAN WROTE:
"I have an advertisement from the army in WWII. It is a magazine cutout that, while not fine art, has a picture and a request for airborne voluntaries. I always thought there was something truly heroic about it and I would love to bring it as well."

IF YOU HAVE ANY PIECE YOU MIGHT LIKE TO SHOW,
Please make a post to this discussion thread on our message board at
http://aynrand.meetup...­

In case Jeff would like to bring something from his ancient coin collection, that would probably count as art, too.

If you have not already done so, to help us plan please make an RSVP to let us know whether you can join us. You can RSVP "Yes," "Maybe," or "No." We hope to see you this Saturday!

-- Todd
A former member
Post #: 2
I have previous plans a little later that evening, so I won't be able to attend. However, at this time I can feature an "e-exhibition" in this "e-salon" post. wink

First, a print of the following was hanging in an Objectivist-influenced friend's apartment in Austin circa 1980 (a few doors down from where another Objectivist-influenced friend was hosting a weekly playing of his Nathaniel Branden lectures on LPs, which was my introduction to Objectivism). It is by Capuletti and (from what he told me) was one of Ayn's favorites, titled "Not Guilty." This small reproduction doesn't do it justice, but:

The rest are mine, from my art school days at UT between 1982 and 1984. I will post the links, rather than insert the images, due to their size:

An illustration project for a fictional Italian restaurant:

http://usera.imagecav...­

A portrait of my brother, John:

"Julie," a model from my life drawing class:

Look forward to attending an event in the future. Happy socializing!

Bill
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 410
Very cool painting.
I look at it, though, and wonder: does she feel like she just bit into a York Peppermint patty?
(The refreshing breezy feeling of being naked and all outside.)