North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Moral brain damage

Moral brain damage

Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 288
Here's an interesting story on a study I ran across the other night, talking about how a section of the prefrontal cortex controls social emotions. I ran a few searches for the originating study and came up empty and was hoping someone might have come across where it came from. I'd like to read it since it's findings run counter to quite a few other studies.

Moral dilemma? Brain tells right from wrong

- Travis
A former member
Post #: 17
WHY Do They Act That Way?: A Survival Guide to the Adolescent Brain for You and Your Teen (Paperback)
by David Walsh (Author), Nat Bennett (Author)

The book referenced above discusses the development of the prefrontal cortex, its part in decision making, and references some studies that have been done with MRI that actually produced visual evidence for what parts of the brain were active during various sorts of decision making.

It is interesting and especially good for anyone that has to deal with teenagers to help them understand the environment the teenager is experiencing. This book is also the genisis of my averision to first shooter video games for teens, though not the only contributor.

Isaac
Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 312
Ahh yes, the good Dr Walsh. There's some active criticism about the findings in his books and his lovely little National Institute on Media and the Family are one of the biggest advocates of censorship in the video game industry n the name of "protecting the children" in the spirit of all good regulators.

- Travis
A former member
Post #: 18
Ahh yes, the good Dr Walsh. There's some active criticism about the findings in his books and his lovely little National Institute on Media and the Family are one of the biggest advocates of censorship in the video game industry n the name of "protecting the children" in the spirit of all good regulators.

- Travis

I don't want the government to regulate video games, or Howard Stern, or Imus. I as a parent and a consumer should make decisions on what is and isn't healthy for my kids. I understand that video games actually bring some benefits to kids, but to me content matters. I want my kids to know that I am opposed to violence, and that I think life is precious and should be revered (maybe except for the mosquitos, which totally ate me tonight).