North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › NTOS: What is the nature of friendship, fellowship, and society?

NTOS: What is the nature of friendship, fellowship, and society?

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
To all,

In thinking about why trying to build the North Texas Objectivist Society is important to me and my family, I have continued to consider the question: What is the nature of friendship, fellowship, and society?

According to one theory that was posted on our message boards some time ago, which was attributed to Ludwig von Mises, society is based on division of labor. But this explanation seems at best partial, or, at least for mankind, too narrowly focused on the physical.

Loneliness is marked by dejection from being alone. Even if all a person's physical needs of food and shelter could be met living alone, without social interactions a person would be lonely. Even if a person could also have access to much of the knowledge and entertainment an advanced society could offer, such as a library of books, music, and movies, a person would still be lonely.

I think the nature of friendship, fellowship, and society -- for man -- is based on trade, not just of labor, of particular skills, or of particular things, but -- more fundamentally -- trade in intellectual content.

To test this idea, imagine if you were stranded on a desert island with just one other person: a communist or religious extremist. Would you not still be lonely?

In considering each of ourselves in our varied social relationships -- and even in our family relationships -- are we really completely satisfied by the nature of the intellectual content available to be traded? Are these relationships based on reality and reason? Are they based on the utmost honesty and clarity? Or do we avoid topics of discussion in some relationships because we really do not share the same thinking?

If we are not truly satisfied in our relationships, are we "living purposefully" as discussed by Craig Biddle in his lecture to NTOS last November? That is, is each of us taking purposeful steps to achieve more rewarding relationships?

The North Texas Objectivist Society provides us an opportunity to start building our "chosen" society. But it is only an opportunity. To build a true society will depend on more of us taking the next step: investing the time to visit with us -- and more than just a few times. Finding and making true friends takes time, and true friends should worth the time.

I hope you will make time for us. The more who participate, the better it can be for all of us. Please visit our website and check out our calendar of upcoming events.

-- Todd