North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Carlos Slim...

Carlos Slim...

A former member
Post #: 4
Props to David for posting this article about Carlos Slim on his blog. Which all of
you should subscribe to if you don't. =)

I know virtually nothing about this man, but any objectivist should appreciate what
he says in the article David posted.

--

The tycoon has brushed off criticism that his Telmex company is effectively a monopoly, saying earlier this year: "When you live for others' opinions, you are dead. I don't want to live thinking about how I'll be remembered."

He has derided Gates and Buffett for giving away so much of their wealth, reportedly saying: "Poverty isn't solved with donations," according to Forbes.

Here's the full article.

I just found it really refreshing to see the worlds 2nd wealthiest man espousing a
reasonable set of values. Almost every wealthy individual I've ever heard of during my short
life seems to be somewhat apologetic about their wealth/success.
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 655
Dec. 8 (Bloomberg) -- CompUSA, the computer retailer that Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim owned since 2000, will shut its doors after 23 years, succumbing to competition from Best Buy Co. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc.

Restructuring firm Gordon Brothers Group LLC bought the chain for an undisclosed sum and will sell or close its 103 stores after the U.S. holidays, CompUSA said yesterday. The 67- year-old Slim, Latin America's richest man, failed to turn around CompUSA after investing more than $1.5 billion in the chain over eight years.

CompUSA was founded as Soft Warehouse in Dallas in 1984 by Mike Henochowicz and Errol Jacobson. The chain opened its first retail store in 1985 and the company changed its name to CompUSA in 1991.

... Earlier this year, he said he would sell the chain "if anyone will buy it.''
"We made a mistake with management,'' Slim said at a news conference in Mexico City in March.

Karen Gainey
skgainey
Sulphur, OK
Post #: 11
Who is David and where can I go to see his blog?

Karen
Scott Connery
Scott_Connery
Dallas, TX
Post #: 54
David Veksler is one of our long-time members and the owner of ObjectivismOnline.net His blog is Rational Mind
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 613
CompUSA ....what a tough fight it must have been to try to turn that company around...they really weren't very good the last few years. Even worse than Circuit City, if that is even possible....