North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Book Recommendation - Infidel

Book Recommendation - Infidel

A former member
Post #: 67
I would like to recommend the new book by Ayaan Hirsi Ali - "Infidel".

If there is anyone that still thinks the religion of Peace is anything but a front for barbarism this book should hopefully change their mind. The beautiful and intelligent Ayaan Hirsi Ali was forced to leave Holland by the "courageous" Dutch because barbarians threatened her life, repeatedly, after the murder of Theo van Gogh. She now lives in seclusion in the United States.

Her book follows her life from childhood to her recognition of what religion is to her immigration to the U.S. It is a heroic story!
A former member
Post #: 69
I don't have the time or energy to write a proper review of this book, so I will let Miss Ali speak for herself.

"It is always difficult to make the transition to a modern world. It was difficult for my grandmother, and for all my relatives from the miye. It was difficult for me, too. I moved from the world of faith to the world of reason - from the world of excision and forced marriage to the world of sexual emancipation. Having made that journey, I know that one of the worlds is simply better that the other. Not because of its flashy gadgets, but fundamentally, because of its values.

The message of this book, if it must have a message, is that we in the West would be wrong to prolong the pain of that transition unneccessarily, by elevating cultures full of bigotry and hatred towards women to the stature of respectable alternative ways of life." - Ayaan Hirsi Ali

If THAT doesn't make you want to read her book...nothing will.

Kindest,

Pytheus
Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 500
Jeff,

I just want to let you know that both JulieAnne and I saw your book recommendation.

I will be looking for a book-on-tape version (for my daily commute).

Franco and JulieAnne will be in Italy for a few weeks, so I take the liberty of relaying their comment to me about your post, too. They are both avid readers and will certainly be taking you up on your recommendation.

We truly appreciate your making this recommendation to us, and the follow-up excerpt makes it especially interesting to us.

-- Todd
Chuck
SmithChuck
Mesquite, TX
Post #: 41
I saw this lady on CSPAN2's 'BOOK TV' a couple of months ago. She is VERY impressive. I recommend that you try to catch her there also; they regularly repeat episodes. It was basically one hour of her synopsizing the book, and it was so interesting and so good that I left it on my DVR for possible re-viewing later.
A former member
Post #: 71
Todd,

I'd like to hear what Franco and JulieAnn think of the book. I usually annotate books I read and can usually determine how much I like it by the number of colored flags I leave behind marking certain passages. There are quite a few flags in this book. It's not that the book is particularly philosophic, but more of watching a mind EMERGE from barbarism into The Enlightenment!

In parts you almost want to weep, not because of the horror that is the Islamic world, but because you can see she gets it. She begins to understand. So it is a joyful weeping!

She also wrote a series of essays compiled in a book called The Caged Virgin, but I haven't had the time to dig into this one yet. SOOOO many books, so little time!

Kindest,

Pytheus
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 479
I just picked this book up Wednesday night. I finished it last night.
This is an incredible book. This woman is truly heroic. Her story is fascinating, and the transformation she made is astounding.
Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a prime example of a person using reason to change her life.

I highly recommend this book. I hope to find The Caged Virgin this weekend.

Ayaan is currently working in the US at AEI, American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research. You can read some of her short articles there.

Although Ayaan stresses how the world needs to wake up and see how poorly Islam treats woman, and how dangerous this religion is, she also asserts in her book that the reason it is like this is because of the lack of respect for individual rights. By the time I got to the later portion of the book, I had to keep checking the cover - is Ayaan or Ayn talking? I was worried when I started this could be just another activist that is only concerned with women's rights, but that isn't the case at all.

This book is easy to read, and I had a hard time putting it down.
A former member
Post #: 91
I just picked this book up Wednesday night. I finished it last night.
This is an incredible book. This woman is truly heroic. Her story is fascinating, and the transformation she made is astounding.
Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a prime example of a person using reason to change her life.

I highly recommend this book. I hope to find The Caged Virgin this weekend.

Ayaan is currently working in the US at AEI, American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research. You can read some of her short articles there.

Although Ayaan stresses how the world needs to wake up and see how poorly Islam treats woman, and how dangerous this religion is, she also asserts in her book that the reason it is like this is because of the lack of respect for individual rights. By the time I got to the later portion of the book, I had to keep checking the cover - is Ayaan or Ayn talking? I was worried when I started this could be just another activist that is only concerned with women's rights, but that isn't the case at all.

This book is easy to read, and I had a hard time putting it down.

AMEN!
Chuck
SmithChuck
Mesquite, TX
Post #: 48
What a sad day in the USA, when a modern-day hero like Ayaan Hirsi Ali can't stay in the US for lack of support. Any suggestions on what can be done about this from our armchairs in Big D? Surely a security fund can be set up (by her employer AEI?). I expect Bush to do just what his dad did in the Rushdie affair - talking, talking....and doing nothing. In fact, this may not even get his attention. Maybe if she were a theist, or collectivist.

"Sam Harris and Salman Rushdie have jointly published an op-ed in today's Los Angeles Times in support of Ayaan Hirsi Ali:"

Ayaan Hirsi Ali: abandoned to fanatics.

Christopher Hitchens also posted an article on Slate:
Hitchens on Ayaan
A former member
Post #: 55
THANK YOU for the heads-up about the Harris/Rushdie op-ed!
Chuck
SmithChuck
Mesquite, TX
Post #: 55
If anyone wants to help with Ayaan Hirsi Ali's security, here's a place to go:

Urgent Appeal: Please Help Protect Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Ayaan Hirsi Ali is the most prominent advocate of free speech and women's rights in the Muslim world, and for this she must live under perpetual armed guard, even in the West. Unfortunately, on October 1st of this year, the Dutch government officially rescinded its promise to protect her. Now, Ayaan Hirsi Ali's friends, colleagues and admirers must come to her aid.

I have created a page on my website that links directly to the Ayaan Hirsi Ali Security Trust. The money raised by this trust will pay Ayaan Hirsi Ali's security expenses. In the event that money remains after these costs have been met, it will be used to encourage and protect other dissidents in the Muslim world.

The ongoing protection of Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a moral obligation. It is also a strategic one: for here is a woman doing work that most of us cannot do--indeed, would be terrified to do if given the chance--and yet this work is essential for preserving the freedoms we take for granted in the West.

If every reader of this email simply pledged ten dollars a month to protect Ayaan Hirsi Ali, the costs of her security would be covered for as long as the threat to her life remains.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Sincerely,

Sam Harris

Ayaan Hirsi Ali
In 2005, TIME included Ayaan Hirsi Ali in its list of the World's 100 Most Influential People. If you would like to know more about her, please read Christopher Caldwell's fine profile in the New York Times Magazine. You can also read the essay that Salman Rushdie and I recently published in the Los Angeles Times, or the one that Christopher Hitchens wrote for Slate.