A former member
Post #: 31
I went to visit the Unitarians today because I thought they would be a pretty good bunch since they are basically aethiest and tolerant of all beliefs. It turns out they go too far for me. They are not only tolerent of all beliefs but actually reverent. Today there was a presentation on existentialist authors, you know, the transindental mystic bunch. I tried to point out that one could only take that approach if the assumption is that one is too stupid to be able to discern reality. They jumped all over me for being negative.

I told them that I am negative about transindental mystics. Its ok with me if someone want to foolishly go down that path, but I'm never going to say its good. I'm not cut out to be a Unitarian

Isaac
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 508
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
Isaac,
Several years ago I started reading online quite a bit about UU. (I assume you are referring to Univeralist Unitarians?). I found the same thing. They are willing to just accept way too much. Also, each church is different. Some are more Christian focused, some more towards naturalist/earth worship stuff.

I was really disappointed, because I was looking for a church like community to replace the one that I had grown up with. I have found that it isn't possible to replace a faith based community with a community of reason to the same extent that I had with the church I grew up with. I don't think it is possible with any "church".

The problem is that you think too much, hahah, to be able to accept the very loose tenets of the church. Which, is basically, its all good if you are willing to accept and deal with anyone and everyone regardless of whether what they believe is totally bs or not.

It is funny, because the North Texas Church of Freethought has a saying that goes something like this "Respectful of all people, but not of all beliefs". But even that organization I find is not really in line with what I had been looking for either.