North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Founders College

Founders College

Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 547
I came across this again and thought it might be of general interest to our members.

http://www.foundersco...­

It looks like Gary Hull is the initiator for this project. http://www.foundersco...­

-- Todd
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 517
I was rather disappointed when I found out that the college isn't offering any actual hands on art classes. But, it looks like it has a good program for someone that is truly looking for only a liberal arts degree, and perhaps will go on into grad school after. Looks like they are also really reaching out to home schooled high school students (as it points out on the website). I am curious as to how many home schoolers there are out there that are not being home schooled through high school for other than religious reasons. (I know there are a good number - I have known a few).

Gary Hull and others that are putting this college together have really done a lot in a short period of time. I hope it is a success - but I think it would be fantastic if they could eventually ad some other majors to the college. I am sure that is probably in the works. I am just wondering if a college with tuition that starts at $22K a year will be able to thrive on just being able to offer a liberal arts major. (I guess I am being naive, since most colleges are pretty expensive today.)

It has one accreditation out of the way, so it least it qualifies for federal student loans and pell grants.
Hmmm...now one could argue that THAT seems a little ironic...I guess it just depends on what you think about taking out government student loans, hahah.

Now, I am not knocking the college - I am truly curious to see how successful it will be in the coming years. I wish them the best. It offers a lot of classes I would find interesting, but I think it would be wonderful if they could add technology/computer classes in the future.
A former member
Post #: 1
Regarding art at Founders, the Art History department will be run by Lee Sandstead, a good friend of mine, and a teaching dynamo. I happen to know that more will be happening at Founders in the art area, but it's not my place to say exactly what. Check out Lee's website, www.sandstead.com for more details as they become public information. It's going to be awesome!
A former member
Post #: 43
Regarding art at Founders, the Art History department will be run by Lee Sandstead, a good friend of mine, and a teaching dynamo. I happen to know that more will be happening at Founders in the art area, but it's not my place to say exactly what. Check out Lee's website, www.sandstead.com for more details as they become public information. It's going to be awesome!

Thanks for Sandstead's link. It has an excellent gallery selection. I'm glad to see he includes two of my favorite painters, Bronzino and Bouguereau, along with several others. Unfortunately I received my art degree from UT Austin, which has a nice art history staff (I was able to concentrate in High Renaissance and Mannerism for those requirements) but the studio staff is full of abstract expressionists who only choose their own for hire, don't teach you much technique, and actively discourage developing any interest in representational art.

Here are two of my favorite pieces by the above-named artists. I was fortunate to be able to spend time in person with each of them, and had difficulty pulling myself away:

A former member
Post #: 2
Re: the Bouguereau, I hate to brag, but I see this piece all the time when I visit the Getty Center in L.A.! ;-) I love it. Actually, the one I see is apparently a copy created by Bouguereau's students and finished by him--he created many copies, being quite an entrepreneur. I'd love to see the original some day.

Anyway, re: Founders, they've announced their faculty. You can link to them through my blog, Powell History Recommends.

Best,
Scott.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 953
Okay - I know this is old news (but I didn't realize it until today - boy am I out of touch!) but Founder's College closed in April 2007 after 7 months.

I tried to go on the Founders College website tonight - I was curious as to what progress they had made. However, there is no site there any more. I thought "uh oh" and went a Googling.

I found this obituary for the college:

It describes how the college was only open for about 7 months, and noted the following:

"Things started to go awry for the school about the time Dr. Gary Hull, director of the Program on Values and Ethics in the Marketplace at Duke
University, pulled out of the project last summer after having planned the college for years. "

Oh my - I had no idea he pulled out.

The News & Record website is not very good, and if you go to the home page and a search you cannot find anything on them - I guess they don't a year back on their online archives - but it looks like this was back in April of 2008.

Finally - the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia page on Virginia.gov has the school listed as closed, and has this comment in the history box for the college:

"The Board of Directors voluntarily withdrew its Certificate to Operate, effective November 18, 2008. Student records are maintained by Southside Virginia Community College."

Nicholas Provenzo from The Rule of Reason blog posted some interesting information regarding the closing of the collge, over two posts:

The end of Founders College at Berry Hill

and
The end of Founders College at Berry Hill Part II

He served as an intern at the college briefly, and his opinion appears to be that it was lack of good business management that made it so the college didn't have the chance, and the fact that Gary Hull pulled out and so they didn't have his direction any longer.

Its too bad. I admit, I had doubts about it when they published their tuition rates - because it being a new school I wondered how many people would pay $30K to send their kids to an untested school. Unfortunately, it looks like they had any where from 10 to 12 students the first semester and were down to about 7 the second semester and were not just losing students, but also staff.

It's a shame - it was a great idea. I don't have any experience in education, but I wonder if it would be a good idea to start out something like this on a smaller, less grand level?

I hope Gary Hull (or someone else) tries again. Perhaps they could start as a long distance learning school and go from there. That would cut out a lot of expenses. Maybe it wouldn't seem as impressive as a "brick and mortar" school, but I think there could be a good market if the tuition was reasonable - there are a LOT of Objectivists, as well as those yearning for a school focuses on liberal studies like their program.

By the way - There are a lot of different blog, news and forum postings. Just google "founders college" and select the past year for the time period and you can sort through them should you have the time.