North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Billboard Advertising for NTOS -- Anyone willing to chip in? $2,000 so far!

Billboard Advertising for NTOS -- Anyone willing to chip in? $2,000 so far!

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 553
I am planning on taking out a billboard advertisement to help us promote NTOS.

This is the text I am suggesting:

WHO IS JOHN GALT?

Objectivist Society .Com

UPDATE: URL will be working soon for comments.
A preliminary design is a copy of our "About" page content at http://NorthTexasObje...­

This is what they look like: http://www.dallasdail...­

This is where they are located: http://www.dallasdail...­

UPDATED: Based on supportive response, I am suggesting locations #1, #2, and #10.

Location #1 on Stemmons Freeway (I-35E) (Southbound) just south of Belt Line Road in Carrollton reaching 202,000 cars per day, which is viewed by southbound commuters traveling from Carrollton, Coppell and Lewisville to Downtown Dallas.

Location #2 is on Central Expwy (Southbound) just north of LBJ Frwy reaching 251,000 cars per day, which is viewed by Richardson, Plano, Allen and McKinney commuters traveling toward North Dallas and Downtown Dallas.

Location #10 is on the Dallas North Tollway (Northbound) at Maple near the entrance of the south Tollbooth reaching 128,000 cars per day, which is viewed by commuters headed toward The Park Cities, North Dallas, Plano and Frisco.

The cost is around $300/day with a minimum of 3 days, for a minimum cost of about $1,000. More days are cheaper. The days can be split between locations.

I would like to raise enough to have at least 2 consecutive days, preferably 3 consecutive days, at each of these 3 locations, for a total of at least six days of billboard advertising and a total cost of about $2,000.

That would give time for at least a double take of each sign, and if we did two locations, we could reach about 580,000 commuters!

Would anyone be able and willing to chip in for this advertising? Any contribution, no matter how small, would be appreciated.

Suggested Contribution: $25.

NOTE: Contributions are NOT tax deductible!

CONTRIBUTIONS/PLEDGES TO DATE:
$250 "Old Toad" (Pledged)
$250 "Mrs. Old Toad" (Pledged)
$25 Isaac, son of Mr. & Mrs. Old Toad (Pledged)
$25 Donovan (paid via PayPal)
$100 Sam & Carol Lisook (paid via PayPal)
$300 John Davis (Paid via check)
$25 Chad V. (paid via PayPal)
$50 Cody "cburleso" (paid via PayPal)
$450 Michael (Pledged)
$25 Gina (paid via PayPal)
$25 David V. (paid via PayPal)
$100 Chuck S. (paid via PayPal)
$100 Pam & Tom (paid via PayPal)
$25 Tierra (paid via PayPal)
$50 Brett (paid via PayPal)
$25 Dorian (paid via PayPal)
$250 Franco & JulieAnne (Pledged)
$25 Sherry & Travis's family (paid via PayPal)
==================
$2,100 Total so far!

Please "RSVP" to make pledges/contributions here, including payments via PayPal
http://aynrand.meetup...­

FURTHER NOTE:
I'll try to keep this list updated!
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 521
Those look like good locations for a bill board.
This probably depends on how much others can chip in - but I was wondering what timeframe you are thinking of? July? August?

Have you thought about radio advertising? Billboards definitely have a huge impact, but radio may be cheaper. I haven't priced ads in the last 10 years, but back in my life as an insurance agent, I bought a lot of air time for a pretty reasonable price. It seemed fairly effective in getting my name out.

I was thinking in particular of KERA Radio - getting one of the sponsor spots. They don't do the regular commercials you hear on private radio stations, but they read out all the information on the air. I would imagine that there could be a good audience there that may be interested. Or, even college radio stations?

Just a thought. I think the billboard is a great idea.
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 554
Although my primary interest would be building NTOS membership and participation, I was thinking mid-September would be a good time, about one month before Dr. Ridpath's visiting us on October 12, 2007.

I am interested in radio, too, but that would seem to involve more production, thinking about channels, etc. This billboard advertisement could be done with a telephone call.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 522
Although my primary interest would be building NTOS membership and participation, I was thinking mid-September would be a good time, about one month before Dr. Ridpath's visiting us on October 12, 2007.

I am interested in radio, too, but that would seem to involve more production, thinking about channels, etc. This billboard advertisement could be done with a telephone call.

That is good timing - good points on the radio thing too. All my ads were already scripted or canned with just a blurb at the end for me. But even then, it took a little time at the radio station recording them.

Though, I DO have recording software. We could have a NTOS Jingle contest. wink
A former member
Post #: 36
Sung to the tune of Armor Hot Dog;

NTOS
What kind of people joint NTOS
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 555
I've decided to try promoting this idea as a "Virtual Fundraiser Event" using Meetup's Calendar to set a date certain for pledges/contributions. This will help me keep track, and help make it clear what a PayPal payment is intended for.

Let's try and gather the funds by Monday, August 20, 2007.

After that, I will use what funds we have collected/pledged to reserve space and place billboard adds, trying to get the most bang for our bucks.
A former member
Post #: 39
I did't know we had a web site setup. I went and looked at it and I have a couple of comments.

1. If the intent is to get people to check out the website because they see the billboard and are curious then it would be better if the address was shorter, especially since they are only going to see it twice.

2. The first page of the website should have more punch if it is a recruiting tool instead of a reference tool. I guess more pictures on the very first page and I think the pictures need to have the message that there is a stimulating and fun social environment available here in the Metroplex.

3. The billboards themselves seem to me to be a little too Cryptic. Anyone that has not read Atlas Shrugged will have no idea what that is about. Maybe something like:

[centerWho is John Galt?]

[centerNTOS - Living Life With Purpose]

[center www.NorthTexasObjectivistSociety.com­]

I have no money to contribute, but I hope some of these ideas are helpful in some way.

Isaac
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 557
Hi Isaac,

I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

1. If the intent is to get people to check out the website because they see the billboard and are curious then it would be better if the address was shorter, especially since they are only going to see it twice.

I agree. I also have "TexasObjectivistSociety.Com" and just "ObjectivistSociety.Com", but we are having technical difficulties with those. Travis is helping me get these set up, and we are starting by just "scraping" the material from our About page.

2. The first page of the website should have more punch if it is a recruiting tool instead of a reference tool. I guess more pictures on the very first page and I think the pictures need to have the message that there is a stimulating and fun social environment available here in the Metroplex.

We have added a lot of photos, and I agree more would be good.

But many here are not aware of how much criticism and how intense the criticism of what we are trying to do with NTOS has been from a few people, and I am a bit burned by that. It has been a long and difficult learning curve for me.

For the time being, I think we should have a "shrink-wrap" license to participate in our group. Nobody gets here through any of my advertisements for the North Texas Objectivist Society except by going through the content of our "About" page. This way, everyone who participates is charged with having full notice of what we are about, who we invite, why, and what we expect.

3. The billboards themselves seem to me to be a little too Cryptic. Anyone that has not read Atlas Shrugged will have no idea what that is about. Maybe something like:

Who is John Galt?

NTOS - Living Life With Purpose

www.NorthTexasObjectivistSociety.com­

This depends on our purpose, and I am leaning to being a bit cryptic. Let me explain my reasoning for further comment and discussion. (Note: As me and my family, including my parents, have invested most heavily in building NTOS so far, I reserve the right to make the final call on such matters for the time being.)

Our primary purpose for NTOS is not to be the initial link to Ayn Rand's philosophy of Objectivism. I think Ayn Rand's novels and other organizations are already dedicated to that purpose.

My family is most interested in attracting and socializing with those who have already read some of Ayn Rand's works, particularly Atlas Shrugged, and even more particularly, to those who have already responded most positively to the romantic vision of her philosophy and want to meet others with a similar sense of life and a further interest in Objectivism.

I want our group to find as many such others as possible, as quickly as possible. I believe that after her books have sold tens of millions of copies over that past 50 years, there are hundreds, even thousands, of such others quietly living their lives in the DFW area. I cannot reach them through the Internet advertising I am doing because they are not searching for us and have no clue to believe we exist. I want to give them a clue that they will readily understand that we are here. Even if they can't specifically remember our website address from driving by, some will be motivated to search for us on the Internet.

On the other hand, I don't want to be flooded with people visiting us who have no clue about what we are about at all. As we currently have only about 170 members, billboard advertising to 500,000 people should draw considerable attention. It would be easy for us to be swamped and waste a lot of my family's time and our current membership's time in sorting them out.

So I think it is a balance. For our first adds I think we should try this way. If we don't get enough response, we can adjust for another billboard advertising campaign.

I have had two suggestions along these very similar lines, so don't feel alone, and I do welcome the discussion and opportunity to answer any questions.

Any thoughts about this?
A former member
Post #: 40
As you know I am not all that enthusiastic about the whole billboard thing anyway for a lot of the reasons that you gave. I think that the billboards present the possibility of non-desirable results as well as the possibility of desirable results. They may result in lots of halfharted new members which would not serve the club well or they may result in little respons at all which would simply be a waste of resources. We might get the Goldilocks scenerio of a morerate amount of quality new members, but that isn't the only outcome possible.

I'm glad that you are thinking through this carefully as I know you always do. I agree that you and your family have put in the effort and have the right to make the final call. Also I'm glad that it is you that is making the call, and I'm grateful to you for creating the NTOS.

Isaac
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 525
Cryptic isn't necessarily a bad thing. You never want to cast the net so wide that you spend too much time throwing back the wrong fish to find the right ones.