A former member
Post #: 46
I've just started hearing about this game and came across some stories on Wired which openly allude to Ayn Rand. While the game supposedly features banners proclaiming "ALTRUISM IS THE SOURCE OF ALL EVIL", I'm not ready to embrace the idea that this game represents the mainstream's acceptance of Objectivism. Judging from what little mention I can find in the articles, it's more a matter of the usual package-dealing of Ayn Rand and Nietzche, not actual Objectivism.

http://www.wired.com/...­

http://www.wired.com/...­
A former member
Post #: 47
"In the city, science was unstoppable, until one day, science couldn't be stopped."

OK, that tells me everything I want to know about this game.

Well, maybe I should provide a little context. That's a line from a preview of BioShock at www.xbox.com. It seems that an underwater city is taken over by genetic mutations. The mutations are apparently deliberate at first, but then, you know, the Frankengenes take over, etc, etc. We've seen it all before, all the way back to Mary Shelley.

Yawn.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 563
Actually, I think it is a really neat game. The graphics are excellent, and it has a good story line. We downloaded the demo and it's pretty interesting. Morbid, yes. But fun.

Definately NOT for kids. I am not sure if we will buy it, but I would play it if we did. And I rarely play video games.

I like Frankenstein. I think it is a shame that people freak out over good science fiction. Mary Shelley gets a bad rap. It's not her fault that some many readers freaked out about her book. Why blame the author for an irrational audience?

This is why it is called science FICTION.
A former member
Post #: 48
I am not opposed to science fiction. I grew up reading it and it is one of the things that led me to Ayn Rand. After all, many consider Atlas Shrugged to qualify as science fiction, itself.

But I do not think that Shelley is entirely blameless - from what I remember of Frankenstein. It has been some time since I actually read it. And I do seem to recall seeing something about her being part of the anti-Industrial Revolution crowd, but since I can't come up with anything more specific off the top of my head, I'll not argue the point any further right now.
Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 315
I played the demo and it's actually a pretty cool game stylistically and game-play wise. It didn't take long to figure out that the story line involved a man who created his version of the Gulch underwater and technology flourished to the point where it got out of hand and in a cataclysmic event on New Years Eve, started killing everyone off. Whether it was intentional or accidental isn't apparent and it doesn't look they they try to portray the genius behind the city as a egotistical controlling maniac. It's actually a compelling story line and I'll probably buy the game to see it through and figure out exactly what happened to the utopia.
I think Frankenstein is actually vilified by Objectivists a little more than it should be, it does raise some very interesting ethical questions when it comes to mucking around with humans themselves, and it's a good work of fiction. Yes, his creation never got a name to humanize it and Frankenstein ended up destroying his life because of his creation, and that does send a message against scientific advancement. (You should read the Frankenstein Papers by Saberhagen sometime. It's the "monsters" diary detailing his perspective of the events.) Bioshock has some sort of serum that genetically alters humans to give them enhanced attributes way beyond normal ability such as shooting fire, ice, or lightning from your fingertips. If we figured out someway to "evolve" humans to a different level, one not meant by the reality of our environments, should we do it. It's an interesting question.

- Travis