North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › More Atlas movie news

More Atlas movie news

Tom
TAA1
McKinney, TX
Post #: 61
Vadim Perelman says he expects the film to run 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I think I could live with that.
Scott C.
Scott_Connery
Dallas, TX
Post #: 39
I think a lot of the book will have to be cut out to trim the movie even to 3 hours. It was almost 1100 pages as I recall. I do think they could do a good job with only 3 hours, but I remain very skeptical.
Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 608
In one of Dr. Peikoff's lectures from some time ago (I forget which), he was asked about this during the Q&A. He explained something to the effect that from a purely quantitative perspective, a typical movie script is about 100 pages, so that about 90% of the material in Atlas Shrugged would would have to be cut. Even for a 3 hour movie, about 80% of the material in Atlas Shrugged would have to be cut.
Scott C.
Scott_Connery
Dallas, TX
Post #: 40
A lot of stuff that takes half a page to describe can be shown in an instant with film, so it isn't as bad as that makes it sound. I do think it will take some incredibly talented people to pick and choose and still get the message and impact of the book across.
A former member
Post #: 44
which is the point. a book and a movie are different formats, so of course they'll be different. There's a lot of visual description in the book that isn't necessary on film, so a page-by-page comparison doesn't make sense. Still, there's no way the book can be duplicated in a single movie. If they try to stick to the story line, they'll ruin it. It' better just to forget about the book and reinvent the story in movie form. How many of ya'll are really going to miss the part about Taggat's wife killing herself?
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 576
I hope they don't leave Cheryl out - I thought she was an important and sad part of the book.

But yes, a book is usually different from the movie in many ways. Anyone that reads the Harry Potter books and saw the movies can tell you that it is difficult to take a book that is very long and get most of it in the film. I think the spirit of Atlas can be maintained however, along with its message. But a lot may have to be referred to, instead of scenes written for them.
Donovan
Donovan.A
Dallas, TX
Post #: 7
A movie is not required to capture all of the elements that were in the novel. My hope is that the essentials remain, and that the film captures the sense of life, the heroic, the romantic elements and the grandeur of the theme. What is even more important to me is how this impacts the Objectivist movement. I think many people will become exposed to the ideas as a result, and that a lot of good can come from this, even if the film doesn't meet the unattainable standards set by most Objectivists. Just imagine how many people will read Atlas just because of the movie. I think it's very exciting.
JoAnne D.
user 5072024
Dallas, TX
Post #: 2
Who is creating this film? Writing the screenplay, editing, directing, producing? This makes me nervous. In the wrong hands, this could create the illusion that Objectivism is a lofty ideal that no man can strive for. So many people have so little integrity, will this slam into their gut like a steel fist like it needs too?
Tom
TAA1
McKinney, TX
Post #: 62
JoAnne, welcome to the group!

I don't think it is possible for the film to be as good as the book. I've never seen a good book improved with a film--However, I've seen a lot of bad books turned into good movies.

I think it is the attention that we want--and it will get a lot! If it can get a couple a million new readers then I would call it a success.

Despite the fact that I don't think the film will be as good as the book, I do think it is has a good chance of being pretty good. The producers are fans of the book, the director is good, and their are a lot of actors that are Rand admirers that would love to be in the film.
A former member
Post #: 138
I've been following these developments with great interest. And I admit to being somewhat tickled by the reaction and attitude of Objectivists regarding this project.

First, I agree with Tom. If Objectivism picks up a few million new readers of Ayn Rand, then I would call it a success. And you can bet I'll be watching ARI to see what they report and how they tie in the movie with book sales. Hopefully they are already in discussions with Lions Gate.

Second, if you don't like the writer, director, producer, etc...then Objectivism has no one to blame but Dr. Peikoff. I regard Dr. Peikoff as our grestest living philosopher, but as far as his business sense goes...He knew what Hollywood was like and he sold the rights. So there you go. "Look to thine own house!"

Personally I think even if they made Atlas word for word the way Ms. Rand wrote it, Objectivists would still groan and complain out it. Since Objectivism has no political power, and we're a minority in the cultural universe, we've become adept at taking complaining to Herculean levels. Be that as it may, even if the movie is a complete waste of film, some intelligent people may just decide to pick up the book, give it a read, and MAYBE change their mind about some things.

Pytheus