North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Interesting Rand mention

Interesting Rand mention

Tom
TAA1
McKinney, TX
Post #: 64
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Here's a brief part of an interview with Gene Simmons about a new comic book he is publishing:

Kurt Amacker: Zipper begins with a dystopian premise ? an individual trying to break out of a collectivist society. A ?dystopian escape? is not an uncommon premise in <>science fiction, but it?s a very deliberate and forceful story angle. What drew you to that idea, as opposed to just having Xeng Ral escape his planet for some other offense?

Gene Simmons: My mindset in creating Zipper and, as later named by Tom, Xeng Ral, was to take a page out of Anthem by Ayn Rand and Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein ? a <>fish out of water fable. In Heinlein, the Martian boy comes to Earth and, though a human being himself, doesn't really understand the human condition. Rand's main character "dares" think OF himself and FOR himself ? an individual. I'm sure there's a bit of Silver Surfer's personality in there as well.

KA: In the first issue, we see Xeng Ral behaving heroically. He escapes from an oppressive collective. He kills a few drug dealers. But, it?s not so much out of altruism or vigilante justice as self-preservation. Do you see Xeng Ral as a hero in the traditional comic book sense ? an altruistic do-gooder ? or is he a sort of Ayn-Rand-Objectivist hero?

GS: Zipper is more Rand than not. If you really think about it, even here on Earth, the definition of good and bad depends on the cultural reference point. Indeed, even in our own Westernized culture, there are vast differences between "religious" folk, vegetarians, "Spirituals" and so on. I DO have a Universal sense of Good and Evil. But, that's purely an individual point of view. Zipper is doing the best he can to sort out what it all means, and who HE really is.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 595
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
It is amazing how her books have reached so many, isn't it?
Chuck
SmithChuck
Mesquite, TX
Post #: 53
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
This past Friday night Glenn Beck's 'Honest Questions' show on CNN had Penn Jillette, of Penn & Teller, on for an hour-long interview. Near the middle of the show, Beck mentioned his disdain at the pessimism and fatalism in Michael Moore's book. Penn's response:

"Yeah, I never understood that....I think that you can really have so much compassion for others without being defeatist. I mean you can get into the Ayn Rand stuff, all the Objectivist stuff and believe it completely - which I think I do - and while you're doing that you can still say, 'But some people get a bum deal and can be helped out a little bit.'"