North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › So long, private colleges

So long, private colleges

A former member
Post #: 8
Our colleges and universities haven't been fully private for a long time, but any semblance of being private institutions will very soon be gone.

"A new plan being proposed by President Barack Obama Thursday would rate the educational value of colleges and tie their value to federal aid offered to students" (http://www.whitehouse...­.

What could possibly go wrong with tying federal money to the "educational value" that these "private" institutions give? This man, this ideology and the philosophical underpinnings that inevitably lead to this and to ever more and more government control over things like this are horrifying. We clearly know that this won't lead small step by small step to further and further government control over our "private" colleges and universities, right? Right? Good grief. And Republicans probably won't stand up against this because they believe in the same underlying philosophical premises.

"President Barack Obama will announce Thursday a proposal...to limit how much students will need to pay each month for their student loans."

And the Soviet Union limited how much chicken could cost, too. You know, because that was the "moral" thing to do to help those in need. How'd that work out again?

"The college rating system would tie aid to the college’s affordability, the number of students on Pell grants, and the college’s ability to produce outcomes, such as graduates with degrees, earnings of graduates, and other factors."

College aid to be tied to the number of graduates with degrees? I bet colleges will really make their course work rigorous now! Why not just give everyone a college degree when they're born? We'll have a 100% graduation rate! Yay, that would prove that we're the best!

"The proposed rating system, which the president wants in place by the 2015 school year, is part of an effort to make college more affordable and to 'fundamentally rethink about how higher education is paid for in this country,' the president said in an email posted on the White House website."

He announces flat out that he wants to remake the country "fundamentally" and people don't seem to care. He's doing it right in front of our eyes. And Republicans likely won't reverse it because they have most of the same moral values as the left.

"'I think that is a good way to hold colleges accountable for the services they provide and for how affordable they are,' said Jimmy Jung, vice president for enrollment management at the University of Maine."

How about the fact that students have to choose whether to go to a school or not?! That's not accountability for the value of something? If Wal-Mart doesn't produce good value for people, they shop at Target. If the University of Maine doesn't produce good value, they go to one of the 865 bajillion other colleges in the country. Yes, clearly only the President's absolute control over everything is the only way to provide "accountability."

As an interesting note, did you hear about the recent release of John Kennedy's letters and travelogues from the 1930s in which he seems to praise Nazi Germany in some ways? I had previously been kind of weirded out by the degree to which his speeches sounded similar to Nazi speeches from the '20s and '30s. JFK spoke constantly of the need for sacrifice. Now I know why. No, I'm not saying that JFK wanted to exterminate the Jews. I am, however, saying that the ideals which he expounded lead to fascism and/or communism when carried to their end.

"'Fascism?' wrote the youthful president-to-be in one. 'The right thing for Germany.' (http://www.dailymail....­)

From Kennedy's inauguration speech: "Since this country was founded, each generation of Americans has been summoned to give testimony to its national loyalty" (http://www.bartleby.c...­.

"Finally, whether you are citizens of America or citizens of the world, ask of us the same high standards of strength and sacrifice which we ask of you."

Yes, show that you have enough "strength" to "sacrifice" your life to prove your "national loyalty." There are many more and worse, but this is from his most famous speech, so I figured I'd quote that one. Last, but not least:

"Ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country."