North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › 3rd NTOS Thanksgiving (The Achiever's Holiday) -- Organized Potluck Dinner!

3rd NTOS Thanksgiving (The Achiever's Holiday) -- Organized Potluck Dinner!

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Dear Friends of Objectivism!

My wife and I have hosted more than 50 cookouts and dinners for NTOS, and my parents have provided us a traditional turkey dinner for the past two Thanksgivings. In response to several suggestions, this year we are inviting everyone to participate in an organized potluck for our Thanksgiving get-together on Saturday, November 17, 2007.

A sign-up list for the potluck is provided below. To help us with the logistics of the menu, please RSVP and indicate what item(s) you would like to bring. For those who would like to bring a favorite family recipe or a dessert, we would be very grateful.

For those who would prefer to make the usual suggested donation of $15/person ($7/child), that is acceptable, too. (If you don't mention in your RSVP what potluck items you plan to bring, we will assume you will probably be making the usual suggested donation instead.)

Since Thanksgiving is typically celebrated as a Christian religious holiday, we would like to take the opportunity to co-opt this event and celebrate it as Objectivists. Thanksgiving is a befitting time to honor the producers -- be they farmers, engineers, laborers, or entrepreneurs. Our goal is to establish an annual Thanksgiving tradition in our newly formed Objectivist community to honor Ayn Rand and the achievement of our productive work. We hope that celebrations such as this will help build our new community as we integrate the principles we have chosen to live by and respect.

We can use the traditional menu or introduce new foods; we can select our music, and perhaps some of us would like to say a few words or recite a poem. Suggestions are welcome. To help us in organizing this event, please RSVP and note what dish you might like to bring.

We want to especially thank John Davis for having introduced us to the idea of formalizing Objectivist celebrations.

For our current potluck plans, please see: http://aynrand.meetup...­

Happy Thanksgiving from NTOS!
A former member
Post #: 56
On Thanksgiving Day, I always think of this passage from Atlas Shrugged:

He stood looking at the portrait of Nat Taggart on the wall of her office -- the portrait of a young man with a lifted head -- until she returned, bringing a bottle of brandy and two glasses. He filled the glasses in silence.

"You know, Dagny, Thanksgiving was a holiday established by productive people to celebrate the success of their work."

The movement of his arm, as he raised his glass, went from the portrait -- to her -- to himself -- to the buildings of the city beyond the window.
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 628
To all --

Based on the feedback we have had so far, my mother (jlife) and I have worked to update and better organize the potluck list. This will become a model for future potlucks we plan to have.

So far, we are expecting nearly 30 people, including 7 children. I expect some more people will be coming, too, but I have not heard for sure. If we get more children, we will arrange to have a babysitter help supervise the children so their parents can better relax and enjoy while the children can play outside and in the upstairs game room!

We have had a good response to the potluck. We still have many easy items on the potluck list that people might like to make or bring to help us put on a great Thanksgiving Feast to celebrate the harvest of our producers!

For example, we need another Thanksgiving Turkey with the Dressing, Mashed Potatoes & Gravy (for 10-12 people).

We need another vegetable dish, such as kernel corn or another casserole (for 10-12 people).

And we need croissant rolls, more cranberry sauce, more pumpkin pie, more pecan pie, cookies, ice cream, and whipped cream.

For the current status of our potluck signup sheet and to RSVP, please the full listing at: http://aynrand.meetup...­

Remember, if bringing dished to a potluck is not your thing, our usual suggested donation of $15/person ($7/child) is acceptable, too!

We sincerely hope you will be able to join us this Saturday for our Thanksgiving Potluck Feast!
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 633
To everyone who has RSVPed "Yes" for our Thanksgiving potluck tomorrow night,

If you have let me know you would like to bring something for our organized potluck, please check the current potluck listing.

If you have not signed up to bring anything, a cash donation is certainly acceptable and welcome.

We do have many items on the list that would be helpful for our members to bring. If we have not heard back anymore on the list by tomorrow morning, my family will pick up all those items and rely on cash donations to help cover the cost.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun, not work. Please contribute in any way that is most enjoyable and easiest for you!

Please visit our current potluck signup sheet at: 3rd THANKSGIVING @the Ranch, Sat, N?

I will try to keep the potluck list updated!

If you signed up to bring something specific, unless it is only a dessert item, please plan to be on time, no later than 7:00 pm! We will need time to set up the food buffet before everyone gets too hungry!

We look forward to seeing you tomorrow night!