North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Thanksgiving recipes

Thanksgiving recipes

Scott C.
Scott_Connery
Dallas, TX
Post #: 46
A few people have asked for my recipe for my smoked turkey, so I thought I would post it here.

The first item to take care of is the turkey itself. It needs to be completely thawed with the neck, and giblets removed. I then applied a simple dry rub of coarse salt and crushed black pepper. At this point, the turkey is ready to go into the smoker.

I have a wood smoker, but any kind should be fine. I shoot for a temperature of 240-250 for the whole smoking process. Turkey and chicken both seem pretty forgiving, so if your temperature bounces around a little from 200-300 you should be ok. It will just speed up or slow down your cooking time.

For chickens, I plan on a 4 hour cooking time, and for the turkey, it ended up being almost 7. To check for done-ness, I "shake hands" with the bird in question. When the drumstick is very loose all the way to the hip joint the bird is done. It should be loose to the point that you worry a little about the legs tearing off if you pick it up by the legs.

I applied a basting sauce every two hours or so, though I'm not really sure how important it is. I know the flavors of the seasoning do not make much of an impact. For what its worth, I made the basting sauce with about a cup of olive oil, a big spoonful of minced garlic, and about 30 leaves of home-grown rosemary.

I would love to get some of the recipes that everyone else used, so please, post them here!