North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › The Relationship Between Meetup and the North Texas Objectivist Society

The Relationship Between Meetup and the North Texas Objectivist Society

Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 636
The Relationship Between Meetup and NTOS

A comment made in a recent discussion thread made me think that I should clarify the relationship between Meetup and NTOS. I hope the following brief explanation is helpful.

Meetup "helps people find others who share their interest or cause, and form lasting, influential, local community groups that regularly meet face-to-face." Essentially, Meetup is a club platform.

The North Texas Objectivist Society contracts to use the Meetup services as its club platform.

Meetup and the North Texas Objectivist Society are otherwise independent.

Meetup

Everyone who signs up for Meetup is subject to its general terms of service. Meetup's terms of service are here: http://www.meetup.com...­ For example, it currently states:

Welcome to Meetup. Meetup provides its website, platform and services (together, the "Platform") to you subject to the terms of service set forth in this Terms of Service Agreement ...

2.1 Eligibility. ... Additional eligibility requirements for particular groups of Meetup members (each, a "Meetup Group") may be set by a Meetup Group's Organizer (in each case, the "Meetup Group Organizer").

2.5 Meetup Group fees; New Group Activation Fee. Meetup Group Organizers are responsible for the payment of Meetup Group Fees for each Meetup Group that they organize. ...

5.2 Release. ... you agree that you bear all risk and you agree to release us (and our officers, directors, shareholders, agents, employees, affiliates, subsidiaries, and third party partners) and Meetup Group Organizers and their designees from claims, demands, and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, suspected and unsuspected, disclosed and undisclosed, now and in the future, arising out of or in any way connected with your use of the Platform, your Third Party Transactions, our resolution of any disputes among users, and/or your transportation to or from, attendance at, or the actions of you or other persons at, a Meetup Gathering. ...

6.3 Role of Meetup Group Organizer. You understand that the Organizer of a Meetup Group in which you are a member has the right, in his or her sole discretion, to temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership in his or her Meetup Group, to charge fees in connection with membership in his or her Meetup Group, limit or set eligibility requirements for Meetup Group Members, and to temporarily or permanently remove any content or information that you have posted in connection with such Meetup Group.

Emphasis added.

The North Texas Objectivist Society ("NTOS")

NTOS is a private club. For the time being, until we grow and can develop another form of club governance, I am the "Meetup Group Organizer" (or just "Organizer") for NTOS. Essentially, this means that I own NTOS. As the Organizer for NTOS, with the advice of the Assistant Organizers I may select from time to time, we are always working to establish and clarify organizational principles and standards for NTOS.

But rather than operate NTOS based on my whim, I think the participation terms should be rationally derived, capable of being objectively applied, and the minimum necessary and sufficient to help our society to thrive. As I have often explained, I think this is the key to organizing something much bigger than a group of my friends.

Everyone who signs up for the North Texas Objectivist Society additionally and separately from Meetup's terms of service also agrees to our NTOS's participation terms as published and amended from time to time on our NTOS "About Us" page.

What "power" or "authority" do I have as the "Organizer" of NTOS? Very little. I ask that our members respect our organizing efforts and participation terms. If someone refuses to do so, about the most I can do is expel them from future participation in our private club. If our members value our organizing efforts, as most seem to, they are glad to honor our minimal participation terms.

For our current participation terms see our About Us" page.