North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › For kids' coughs, silence is golden and sweet

For kids' coughs, silence is golden and sweet

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 646
For kids' coughs, silence is golden and sweet
By ALEXIS GRANT
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Buckwheat honey -- a dark variety that's sold in most grocery stores -- relieved children's coughs and helped them sleep better than dextromethorphan, the drug in most over-the-counter cough suppressants, according to a report published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. Honey also beat out giving children no treatment at all.

http://www.chron.com/...­
A former member
Post #: 150
Ambassador, diplomat, doctor...do your skills have any limits? You're like...a SUPERHERO! :)
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 609
Mix a little of that with some Captain Morgan, and I bet the will be sleeping all night.

Seriously though...interesting, I will have to check that out. We are still in the midst of the plague at our house. Anything that is easier on my kids but works is worth trying.

Hmmm
"Honey has long been used by some parents as an alternative treatment for cough, although it should not be given to children under 1 year old."

It was my understanding you should never give honey to anyone under 2 years old. Not that I have anyone under 2 here...except for the ferrets and cat of course....

Actually, this doesn't really surprise me. People have been taking honey in tea for years when they were sick. I am reading a book on colds and flu I bought a few weeks ago, and it explained why honey and tea is helpful when you are suffering from colds etc.

I may experiement on Travis. He is still really sick and sounds like a frog. Maybe this will give him some relief.
JoAnne Drew
user 5072024
Dallas, TX
Post #: 6
So is it sweet when he ribbits?devilish
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 654
So is it sweet when he ribbits?devilish

I bet not; I'm not sweet when I croak!
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 618
Sure...kinda like Barry White swallowed Kermit the Frog.......