North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › The Basic Principles of Objectivism Course!

The Basic Principles of Objectivism Course!

Donovan
Donovan.A
Dallas, TX
Post #: 20
I will be offering the original course on Objectivism given by Nathaniel Branden. This course was given with the consent and approval of Ayn Rand. Here is your chance to experience this monumental classic. Lecture topics include: The Role of Philosophy, What Is Reason?, Logic and Mysticism, The Concept of God, Free Will, Efficient Thinking, Self-Esteem, The Psychology of Dependence, The Objectivist Ethics, Reason and Virtue, Justice vs. Mercy, The Evil of Self-sacrifice, Government and the Individual, The Economics of a Free Society, and Common Fallacies about Capitalism. Branden gave this 20-lecture course in dozens of cities from 1958-68.

These lectures are digitally re-mastered on CD. We will start the series on Tuesday, January 8th, from 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. We'll take a short refreshment break and allow an additional hour after the lectures for discussion. Admission is $5.00 per lecture. The complete course will be given over 12 weeks. If you know you will be attending all 12 sessions, you can pay $50.00 upfront on the first day and save $10.00. All payments are non-refundable. The sessions will be given in the North Dallas area near the Galleria. Please E-mail me directly through Meet-up for the exact location, directions or further questions.

- This is an event independent of NTOS.
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 689
To keep the discussion thread together, I am moving this post.
Donovan Posted Dec 18, 2007 at 6:12 PM:

The Basic Principles of Objectivism Syllabus

Private event - Not sponsored by NTOS

Tuesday January 8th through Tuesday April 1st (All Lectures begin at 7:00 pm)
*Due to the structure of these lectures, some classes will extend beyond a two hour lecture period*

Admission: $5.00 per class or $50.00 on the first day of class to have access to the whole series (a savings of $10.00). All payments are non-refundable. If you choose to pay as you go, each payment will be due on the day of the class.

January 8th (Course Begins) The Role of Philosophy Part 1 and 2
January 15th What is Reason? / Logic and Mysticism
January 22nd The Concept of God part 1 and 2 / Free Will Part 1
January 29th Free Will part 2 / Efficient thinking Part 1 and 2

February 5th Self-Esteem / The Psychology of Dependence Part 1
February 12th The Psychology of Dependence part 2 / The Psychology of Sex
February 19th The Objectivist Ethics
February 26th Reason and Virtue / Justice vs. Mercy (2.4 hour lecture time)*

March 4th The Evil of Self-Sacrifice / Government and the Individual (2.3 hour lecture time)*
March 11th The Economics of a Free Society / Common Fallacies About Capitalism (2.3 hour lecture time)*
March 18th Spring Break - No lecture
March 25th Romanticism, Naturalism, and the Novels of Ayn Rand Part 1 and 2

April 1st (Last lecture) The Nature of Evil ? The Benevolent Sense of Life

*We'll take a short refreshment break during classes and allow an additional hour after the lectures for discussion.*

This course was given with the consent and approval of Ayn Rand. Here is your chance to experience this monumental classic. These lectures are digitally re-mastered on CD. Branden gave this lecture series in dozens of cities from 1958-68.

The sessions will be given in the North Dallas area near the Galleria. Please E-mail me directly through Meet-up for the exact location, directions or further questions.

Thank you,

Donovan

Scott C. Posted Dec 18, 2007 at 11:21 PM:

It sounds interesting to me, I will be there.

Sara Posted Dec 19, 2007 at 10:46 PM:

Donovan, David and I will be there with bells on. We are looking forward to it! smile

Donovan Posted Jan 9, 2008 at 11:30 PM:

We had 15 people attend the first lecture on the Principles of Objectivism, by Nathaniel Branden! I have received a lot of positive feedback already and look forward to seeing everyone again next week. For those of you who did not make it, we are adjusting the start time to 7:30 p.m. The first lectures on "The Role of Philosophy" were primarily an introduction. This means, that if any of you have never studied Objectivism in a more formal way, you can still jump in.

I would also like to offer my reasoning behind taking and offering this course:

1. Ideas, lectures, books, and works should be judged for themselves.

2. What I consider valuable are the ideas, not the character flaws of the speaker or writer.

3. If you have never taken this course, please do not criticize it. I consider that to be at the same level as someone who criticizes Atlas Shrugged, but has never read it.

4. These lectures were given with Ayn Rand's approval, consent and endorsement. These lectures were given before the Rand/Branden split.

5. This is a part of our Objectivist history.

Edited by Donovan on Jan 12, 2008 at 2:05 AM

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 690
Donovan Posted Jan 9, 2008 at 11:41 PM:

Please feel free to contact me though the meetup, if you would like to attend the Branden course or are interested in any other formal lectures. I am hoping to offer some additional lectures by Ayn Rand soon!

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 691
Karen G. Posted Jan 10, 2008 at 9:49 AM:

I would dearly love to take this but am too far away to make the commitment :(

Is there any way to get a synopsis of this? I am asking that and yet I have heard some of his lectures and I own the lecture series on Logical Thinking by Barbara Branden. So maybe I answered my own question. In reading the message board, and especially the post from Nick, I too would love to see discussions that adhered to basic Objectivist principles - and knowing what they are would be a good start!!

If anyone would like to take on the challenge of outlining what you all glean from these lectures, I know that I personally would devour every word.

Karen

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 692
Donovan Posted Jan 11, 2008 at 1:44 PM:

Karen,

I know you are far, but you do not have to come to every lecture. Admission is $5.00 per class, and I will probably offer the course again in the fall.

- Donovan

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 693
To keep the discussion thead together, I am moving this post.
Donovan Posted Jan 16, 2008 at 1:35 AM:

Tonight we had 13 guests listen to the Branden lectures on Reason, Logic and Mysticism. I am very pleased with the material presented in the course. Branden eloquently explains the fundamentals of the Objectivist epistemology as opposed to mysticism. In the lectures many concrete examples are provided, the common arguments and fallacies proposed by mystics are debunked and explained in detail. I will soon post a new syllabus. Due to the depth of the material and to allow for ample discussion time, I will only offer one CD per class. This will shorten our total lecture time to no more than 1.2 hours per week. Admission will still be $5.00 per class per person. Our start time is moving back to 7:00 p.m. I do not expect any further adjustments to our schedule.

- Donovan

Edited by Donovan on Jan 16, 2008 at 1:37 AM

A former member
Post #: 63
Since Donovan states, "This course was given with the consent and approval of Ayn Rand," I think it should be made clear that although, at one time, Ayn Rand did, indeed, approve of Nathaniel Branden and the work he was doing to promote Objectivism, she subsequently withdrew her approval, as both Nathaniel Branden and Barbara Branden make clear in their respective biographies of Ayn Rand.

I don't think it should be assumed that those new to Objectivism are familiar with the controversy surrounding Branden's relationship with Rand.
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 694
Ayn Rand wrote "To Whom It May Concern," The Objectivist, September 15, 1968:

This is to inform my readers and all those interested in Objectivism that Nathaniel Branden and Barbara Branden are no longer associated with this magazine ["The Objectivist"], with me or with my philosophy.

I have permanently broken all personal, professional and business association with them, and have withdrawn from them the permission to use my name in connection with their commercial, professional, intellectual or other activities.

I hereby withdraw my endorsement of them and of their future works and activities. I repudiate both of them, totally and permanently, as spokesmen for me or for Objectivism.

The reasons are as follows.

(Emphasis Added.)

My understanding is that the subject matter of this course by Nathaniel Branden, which was made prior to their split, is endorsed by Ayn Rand.

This course is not being sponsored by NTOS. But I think our members should be albe to discuss it here, if they wish.

Also, the issue of the Rand/Branden split is one of the first things that seems to come up in any discussion with those new to Objectivism. I doubt anyone who gets into Objectivism is going to remain ignorant of the issue for long.
Donovan
Donovan.A
Dallas, TX
Post #: 51
Hi Rob,

Thank you for posting your concerns. I have a few questions for you. Have you or would you read the articles by Nathaniel Branden that are published in the Virtue of Selfishness and Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal? If you have read them, I would like to ask you why? If you have not read them, I would like to ask you why not? These books are sold through the ARI bookstore and currently contain the original articles by Nathaniel Branden. Have you listened to the lectures I am offering? Would you care to? I am interested in IDEAS. What are you interested in?
Donovan
Donovan.A
Dallas, TX
Post #: 52
To All,

Ayn Rand wrote in the introduction of the Virtue of Selfishness:

"P.S. Nathaniel Branden is no longer associated with me, with my philosophy or with The Objectivist (formerly The Objectivist Newsletter).
New York, November 1970"

Ayn Rand Wrote in the introduction of Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal:

"P.S. Nathaniel Branden is no longer associated with me, with my philosophy or with The Objectivist (formerly The Objectivist Newsletter).
New York, November 1970"

As a result of these statements by Ayn Rand, I wish to ask: Have you or would you read the articles by Nathaniel Branden that are published in the Virtue of Selfishness and or Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal? If you have read them, I would like to ask you why you have read them. If you have not read them, I would like to ask you why not? If you have read those articles and if you think they are consistent with the philosophy of Objectivism, then I encourage you to come listen to "The Basic Principles of Objectivism." I hope that any of you that read this will understand my reasoning. I AM INTERESTED IN IDEAS; I am interested in thinking more clearly, in living more rationally. What are you interested in?