North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Competing alternatives?

Competing alternatives?

Chad
prorescue
Norman, OK
Post #: 36
As I learn more about Objectivism, I'm increasingly interested in the criticisms of this philosophy. I've noticed the arguments I read seem to fall into two categories;

1. I'm able to see the mistaken premise in the argument or the flaws in the logic of the argument against, in which case the argument falls down, or

2. I simply don't understand the argument or the premises and can therefore make no determination as to whether it is a valid criticism (which it may very well be).

As I learn more, I'm hoping to limit those that fall into category number 2.

From what I've seen so far, the philosophy fairs well against attack which makes sense since it's based on reality. My first question is, are there any famous and as of yet unanswered criticisms? Are there any non-objectivist philosophers which hold opposing points of view who have valid arguments to which objectivist philosophers have had difficulty responding?

A second question is, are there any competing RATIONAL philosophies? And specifically, do they offer a competing morality? One of my complaints about the critics of Objectivism is their failure to offer a rational alternative to whatever aspect they criticize, especially morality.

Just trying to learn. Any thoughts?

Chad V.
Scott C.
Scott_Connery
Dallas, TX
Post #: 52
This link:http://www.noblesoul....­ has a list of criticisms of Objectivism. I have been pretty un-impressed with their academic rigor.

I am not aware of any competing Rational philosophies. I suppose you could say that Aristotle's philosophy was a competitor, but I'm not sure you could actually find someone who lived it. Descartes might be another candidate, and you can probably even find a handful of people who really use his philosophy.