North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Personae Non Gratae in NTOS and conditions to be welcome back

Personae Non Gratae in NTOS and conditions to be welcome back

Closed to new replies

Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 678
I do not wish to disproportionately highlight the rare challenges we have experienced in the management of the North Texas Objectivist Society, but as we grow I think we should have a central place for this list that can be looked up via the Table of Contents for our message-board forum and making a clear policy as to who would be welcome back.

I. PUBLIC ACTIONS

The following persons are not welcome to participate in the North Texas Objectivist Society without first resolving past issues with the Organizer:

Murugan aka "KrisRamPro," Etc.
Removed May 18, 2005
Summary reason: internet troll
http://aynrand.meetup...­

David W. Croft
Removed May 9, 2006
Summary reason: refusing to respect our interest in Objectivism

Thomas M. Miovas
Removed April 24, 2007
Summary reason: obnoxiousness and confessing to trying to make others feel unwelcome

II. PRIVATE ACTIONS

There are about 7 other persons who have been privately asked to withdraw or removed from NTOS. (This is out of over 350 people who have signed up, about 200 who are currently members, the rest of whom have moved away or left for their own reasons without any management issue between us.)

Any of these persons is welcome to rejoin as a member of NTOS or to visit with us as a welcome guest of another member, provided:
(a) that participation issue has been corrected by the person or otherwise been resolved; and
(b) it would be with the implicit understanding that he will honor the participation terms set forth on our "About Us" page at http://aynrand.meetup...­.

Usually, these private actions are for lesser infractions of the participation terms but for which the Organizers still have no other option to remedy the situation.

For example, a couple of people have been asked to take down an inappropriate personal photo, but not responded at all. Within Meetup's system, the only way the Organizers can remedy such a situation is to remove the person's entire profile from our particular Meetup group. Such a person would be welcome to rejoin NTOS without using the offending photo.

For another example in this category, a couple of people have been asked to withdraw or removed as members for having joined without having read any of Ayn Rand's works and for showing no progress in doing so. If he chooses, such a person is welcome to rejoin NTOS as a member by becoming more knowledgeable and respectful of our interest. (Of course, this is not a requirement for being a welcome guest of a member.)

III. COMMENTS.

At this rate, I expect to update this list only about once per year.

I think it is best that the Organizers operate NTOS as openly as possible, that all participants and potential members can trust in the participation terms, that we can all see how the terms have been applied in the past, including how rarely we actually have taken such drastic step, and that constructive criticism by our members of such management decisions be welcomed.

If anyone wants do discuss this post, including whether it should not have been made it at all or the general policies regarding who is welcome back, I suggest we discuss such issues under a separate thread.

-- Todd (aka "Old Toad")
Organizer
North Texas Objectivist Society