North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › July 4th, 2008 in Galveston? Or any other suggestions?

July 4th, 2008 in Galveston? Or any other suggestions?

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 684
Starting to plan ahead ...

For this July 4th, 2008, my family suggests some of us go see the fireworks off the beach of Galveston, TX, and to enjoy the beaches, seafood, sights, etc. for the three-day weekend.

We suggest that we drive down to Galveston late Thursday night, July 3rd, spend July 4th - 5th in Galveston, including on the beach and seeing the fireworks, and returning on Sunday, July 6th.

There's lots of good seafood eating in Galveston, and plenty of things to do besides the beaches.

If anyone is interested in making this an NTOS excursion with us, please let us know and let we will start to make firm plans.

A great place to stay on the beach is Seascape Condominiums, which is right on the beach, has a pool, and has small but comfortable suites, some of which can accommodate a family or group of up to 8 people. http://www.galveston....­

There are lots of other options for staying in Galveston to meet almost any budget for a few days vacation.

We should be sure to coordinate with us via exchanging cell phone numbers so we can find each other on an island of 50,000 people!

Assuming the same in years past, FIREWORKS DISPLAY DETAILS:
Assuming the same as year, the fireworks display will probably start at around 9:15pm at 37th and Seawall, and will last for approximately 30 minutes. The fireworks can normally be seen as far west as 81st and Seawall, and as far east as 14th and Seawall

Traffic closures for the fireworks display are as follows:
The Seawall from 33rd to 45th streets will be closed from 7:30 pm until the end of the fireworks display. There will be no parking on Seawall Boulevard from 36th to 38th streets on either side of the street. There will also be no parking on Seawall Boulevard from 46th to 47th streets on the south side, and from 32nd to 33rd streets on the north side.

We would also be glad to consider other suggestions!
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 726
July 4th is less than 5 months away!

It's time to start planning where you want to swelter this summer. I suggest near a large body of water -- say, the Gulf of Mexico. (It's the 9th largest body of water in the world.)

I know this is the "North Texas Objectivist Society, but surely we don't have to be too literal.

My family of 5 will probably be driving down there to spend a few days.

Sound off if you have any interest!
A former member
Post #: 185
OK...OK...if I'm here I'll go.

Also, Scarborough Faire Ren Fest is coming up. Opening weekend is April 5th. I suggest opening weekend because it's much cooler.

Pytheus
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 728
Great!

And yes, this will be the third year we go to Scarborough Faire, too. I set it up for opening day, April 5th (subject to weather).