A former member
Post #: 203
Have any of you heard of a group called Kiva, www.kiva.org ?

They seem to be a organization devoted to capitalism in what we would call the Third World, making small loans to viable entrepenuers. The loans are provided by individuals like you and me. Their stated mission seems to be to "end poverty" or some other altruistic clap-trap. Nevertheless their program, at least what I know of it, seems sound.

I've made a few loans through their system and I'll report back on my experience.
Regardless of the marketing noise and lack of philosophic underpinning, this MAY be A method of spreading capitalism...by spreading capital those those who need it rather than a hand out.

If anyone has any experience with this, I'd like to hear some feedback or if not your views on what, if anything, you know about the organization.

Regards,

Pytheus
Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 766
... Regardless of the marketing noise and lack of philosophic underpinning, this MAY be A method of spreading capitalism...by spreading capital those those who need it rather than a hand out.

I dunno. It might not be "activism." tongue

*Ducks and runs for cover.
A former member
Post #: 204
Oh you can run. devilish
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 651
Yes - I did a little reading on a few websites about these types of microloans to third world countries. I think it is a fantastic idea, actually. What a way to help spread capitalism, and give someone a leg up.

I think it is a worthy thing. Please let us know how it goes. I think the effects of this is much more far reaching than many other charities.

Edited: to change communism to capitalism. What was I eating right before I wrote this????
Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 767
... What a way to help spread communism, and give someone a leg up.

It is "activism"!tongue
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 666
Wow - I just realized I wrote communism instead of capitalism. Was I drinking before I wrote this????
A former member
Post #: 207
Back away from the Tequila!

P
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 667
Maybe my diet Pespi went bad.

Anyhoo- back on the thread topic - has anyone gotten involved with something like Kiva before?
Scott
user 6545865
Dallas, TX
Post #: 20
Great idea. Imagine microloans combined with Objectivist education.

I would feel much more comfortable loaning money to somebody that shares my morality. If we had a microloan organization that gave financial management classes and Objectivism classes, we could really impact a local community.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 682
Today in the car, I heard a few minutes of an interview with a man from the Grameen bank.
One of their microloan programs area specifically designed for beggars. Basically, the asked the beggars that go door to door what they thought of having cookies or inexpensive toys to offer the household in exchange for money or food, and they loved the idea. So far, the program has helped 10,000 beggars become successful door to door salespeople, who do not beg at all any more for food or money.

The rate of repayment for the bank is 98%.

I cannot locate a podcast of the program - wish I could, since I only got to hear about 10 minutes of it. Anyway, the fellow has written a book, trying to find it (I didn't get his name - not sure if he is the same fellow, Muhammad Yunus that founded the bank and won a Nobel prize.)