add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Where can I find Ayn Rand on the source of morality?

Where can I find Ayn Rand on the source of morality?

Chris J.
Dallas, TX
Post #: 105
I was involved in a discussion recently about the source of morality. I thought that AR made a really good point about a "hierarchy of values" in which she pointed out that human life was a rational person's prime value (their own first- then others by extension). However I cannot remember where I read it. I am sure it's in one of the books I own, as I don't discard AR's books after reading, but I cannot remember where. I have 2 questions regarding this:

1) Does anyone know where this information is?

2)Is there another place where AR addresses "morality" as a product of reason?

I have always believed in this, but she is so much more eloquent than I am that I would like to read it again since I had cause to ponder the subject again.

Organizer's Note:
Edited Title -- 7-16-08
Plano, TX
Post #: 669
Ayn Rand covered a lot about morality in "Virtue of Selfishness."
It is late, and I haven't had time to go through the Lexicon online to find exactly what you are looking for, but it may in some of the passages listed here:

Sorry - I know this is discussed in pretty good depth somewhere either by Rand herself or Peikoff (or others), but I cannot find it that quickly. I would be interested to see where it is found as well, and re read and make note of it.
Chris J.
Dallas, TX
Post #: 107
I too thought this was one of the most interesting reads. I could probably find it myself if I look through my books, but I was just hoping someone else could remember and save me a bit of time. I was also curious if the subject were addressed in something which I haven't read yet. As you may have guessed the discussion originated with a religious person who believed that morality came from God. I pointed out how a person could rationally arrive at most "moral" conclusions such as: it is wrong to steal, murder, rape, etc.