North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › NTOS Marketing: Life after Death? 72 Virgins? Arbeit Macht Frei?

NTOS Marketing: Life after Death? 72 Virgins? Arbeit Macht Frei?

Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Send an Email Post a Greeting
I saw a TV commercial for a sports car.
A young blond was draped across the hood.
She seemed to be included.
I was mildly interested, but my wife wasn't.

I saw another TV commercial for a big pickup truck with leather seats and fancy trim.
A businessman was driving it.
It was apparently mistaken for a dump truck.
A backhoe operator dumped about 1 ton of dirt and rock into the back.
The driver seemed proud.
I thought I should buy a protective cover for mine.

I saw another TV commercial for a major hamburger chain.
It offered movie-inspired toys.
My kids wanted to go. I didn't.

Seriously, I don't know anything about marketing.

What are the values that NTOS could offer?
What are the indirect values that we could offer?

How about this as our new marketing slogan: "I believe in life before death!"
tongue

Do we have any marketing suggestions for NTOS?
Do we have any marketing people who might be able to help?

Please let me know if you would be willing to help!
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 701
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
Yes, I like that slogan, or:

"Making the most of life - in the present."
"Focusing on the here and now"
"Living the REAL life"

yadda, yadda, yadda....maybe we could sponsor a car in NASCAR and we can have this on the hood:

"Life moves at 200 MPH; live it before you miss it"
Scott Connery
Scott_Connery
Dallas, TX
Post #: 74
I think we need to start by narrowing our goals down a little bit.

Are we trying to attract people who are already Ayn Rand fans, but don't know about the group?

Are we trying to attract people who might be open to the idea of Objectivism, but have probably never read any of it? For example, this might include local Atheists, or Libertarians, or local college students.

Are we targeting the public at large?

Then, we need to decide how much we are willing to spend on the project, and what an acceptable success rate is. Can we afford to spend $1, $10, or $100 for each new visitor that we get to show up for the first time.

Even if the answer is zero, we can still come up with some marketing plans as long as we have people willing to volunteer time.

Once we have these parameters nailed down a little bit more firmly, I think we can start talking about specific slogans. Obviously different slogans will appeal to different demographics.
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 807
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your response.

I think we need to start by narrowing our goals down a little bit.

As stated on our "About Us" page, I think this is who we should be trying to attract: "Our society welcomes anyone to join as a member who admires Ayn Rand's works and is constructively interested in Objectivism."

We easily spend $10 to attract each new member. Volunteering time could help, too, though. For example, people could spend time promoting NTOS on the internet.

BTW, I didn't mean to limit this discussion to slogans. I was asking for marketing suggestions and help, in general.
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 809
It's been a bit a bit long since our last gathering at the Ranch ... we hope you will visit us, relax in some good company that appreciates reality, reason, and life before death!

Please RSVP (if you haven't already) to help us plan our gathering this Saturday at: http://aynrand.meetup...­

We look forward to seeing you this Saturday! The weather forecast is sunny with a daytime high of about 70F, so it should be a nice day for a drive out to the Ranch.

The more people who visit, the more enjoyable it would be for all of us!

We are also calling for your ideas and suggestions to help us market NTOS! In response to my e-mail of last night, I have already had some great feedback. A couple of people wanted to discuss in more detail in person.

I suggest that, in addition to our usual open discussion and socialization format, those of us who may be particularly interested in helping us with marketing NTOS be available to discuss the following agenda:

Who do we want to reach? As stated on our "About Us" page: "Our society welcomes anyone to join as a member who admires Ayn Rand's works and is constructively interested in Objectivism." I suggest this is the target market of who we want to reach.

Where is our target market? I think that broadly, our target is such people living within about three hours driving distance to the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, e.g., Abilene to the West, Austin to the Southwest, Houston to the South, Shreveport to the East, and Oklahoma City to the North. Most specifically, I think our target is the DFW metroplex. Or people anywhere who own private jets and would be willing to visit us once in a while?

What do we want them to know about NTOS? What do we offer that they might value and enjoy? What kind of events do we have? What are we like?

How do we reach them? What would be some cost-effective marketing? Would it help if some of the marketing was enjoyable for our members to do?

We look forward to seeing you this Saturday!

"Old Toad," Organizer
North Texas Objectivist Society
Scott Connery
Scott_Connery
Dallas, TX
Post #: 75
Given your stated "Who", I think the "How" is the toughest question.

There are only a handful of places I can think of to efficiently target Objectivists. All of them are Internet based as far as I am aware. Objectivists just don't have the population density to target effectively by other means in my opinion. There is no such thing as a radio or tv station with a large (or even small) percentage of local Objectivist viewers.

ARI is the first one, but I have heard they are not interested in playing along.

TAS (formerly TOC) is the next one, and they already indirectly link to NTOS. They have a tab that says local groups, and the link takes you to aynrand.meetup.com. Punch in your zip code and NTOS is the first result. It does look like with very minimal effort, they would directly link to NTOS. However, this is something of a can of worms, and I am not sure that we are ready to open it.

There are a variety of Objectivist webpages and/or magazines that many Objectivists read. CapitalismMagazine.com is one. IntellectualActivist.com is another. Possibly they would sell ad space, or contact information on local subscribers.

There are also a variety of Internet forums that seem like they would be likely targets, even though there are probably only a handful of potential new members from each.

ObjectivismOnline.net lists 85 members from Texas, although many posted a few times and never came back.

RebirthofReason.com has over 3000 members, but I don't know how many of them are active members from Texas. They do have a listing for state clubs, but don't have a Texas area.

4aynrandfans.com is a fairly large community, though I can't get a breakdown on local members until my registration is approved.

Objectivist Living.com shows up next on my google search

I think we could advertise to all of these for free. We would probably only a few hits, but the advertising ROI seems good.

I'm just not sure where else to reach large concentrations of local Objectivists.

We could try various related and semi-related Meetup groups. We know they are people who are likely to go to social events that they find online. I think that the Dallas Atheist and libertarian groups would yield at least a handful of interested people. However, they likely will not meet the criteria of your "Who"

Thats my $.02 for now.
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 810
Thats my $.02 for now.

With inflation, it's probably $2.00 ... for now.tongue
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 812
Hi Scott,

Given your stated "Who", I think the "How" is the toughest question.

There are only a handful of places I can think of to efficiently target Objectivists.
I'm just not sure where else to reach large concentrations of local Objectivists.

In thinking about your post a bit more, I would like to clarify that our "Who" is broader than "Objectivists." The people who admire Ayn Rands works, even just responding to the positive sense of live of her novels, would be the starting point. Also, "constructively interested in Objectivism" does not require agreement with Objectivism. But it does require some minimal positive interest.

My understanding is that more than 20 million copies of Ayn Rand's books have been published in the last 50 years or so. There must be hundreds and hundreds more people than we have found who are in the DFW area and meet this "Who" criteria.

Also, what about marketing to our current membership? Consider that about 400 people have signed up for NTOS during our first 3 years. People have been signing up at the rate of 5-10 per month! But about 1/2 of these leave for various reasons. Some move away, of course. Some discovered that they were really not interested in Objectivism. Some get annoyed with something that I do. Some get annoyed because we send out too many e-mail announcements for events. But the vast majority of those who are no longer with us were automatically removed by Meetup's system simply because they didn't bother to keep their their e-mail address current with us. Consider further that right now we have about 200 members, but only about 1/2 of those are participating much or at all. Moreover, consider than many of our members have friends, spouses, or families they might bring in.

We lose participation and members for not offering the desired value or not better marketing our offered value to those who have already found us!

What additional or other values can we offer our existing membership? How can we market better to our existing membership?

Imagine what it would be like if we had major events with 100 people showing up? Imagine if we could do that, how much more we could grow!
Chris Jones
gearjammer351
Dallas, TX
Post #: 116
I would be tempted by 72 black-eyed virgins. However, considering eternity, I would probably get tired of all of them eventuallydevilish

Why does no one offer eternity with 72 musclecars and an unlimited supply of gas and tires? That would definitely get me up early on a Sunday.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 729
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
Because they are waiting for Al Gore to die - and once he is in heaven, he would just ruin it by insisting your musclecars be electric and that you hug a tree every day.