North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Did someone mention elephants?

Did someone mention elephants?

Lathanar
Lathanar
Dallas, TX
Post #: 334
And now for something completely different. I found this video on MSN but it's all over the place now. It's a little slow to start but is truly amazing on several different levels. While the elephants involved are trained and always paints the same type of subject matter, the paintings are not the same everytime and are in different poses, etc. Trained or not I don't think many people can do this.

Elephant paints self portrait

- Travis
Chad
prorescue
Norman, OK
Post #: 72
I swear if you look closely as the elephant paints the flower, you can see him grinning.

I am now no longer impressed by my goldfish who can cook breakfast which has no artistic value at all.
Old Toad
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 813
The video is incomplete, and I don't entirely trust it. But I did find this report on an urban legends website about the subject:

http://www.snopes.com...­
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 704
Some parents get all ecstatic when their kids learn how to paint or draw by copying other art work - why not this?
I think this is very cool. Animals are not as intelligent than humans, true - but I think many of them are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. The snopes article seems to question whether they are actually "painting". Well, hmm...let's see - elephant picks up brush, dips in paint, makes shapes on canvas. That qualifies for me!

Another cool part is that they use the proceeds from the sales of the paintings go towards taking care of the elephants. These are no slacker "starving artists" haha.