North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Seen any good movies lately?

Seen any good movies lately?

Karen G.
skgainey
Sulphur, OK
Post #: 42
I am not a big movie person - Shrek, Tootsie and Goodbye Girl are among my favorites - oh, Overboard and 50 First Dates are up there too... I know, this shows absolutely no real depth, but I go for entertainment value. Just to show I am not totally shallow... I saw Freedom Writers last night and thought it was good. Maybe some suggestions that might help me broaden my realm?
A former member
Post #: 89
I saw "Beeowulf and Grendel" last week. Different take on the same story than the recent live action version. Plus the live action filming is much better since it's on film and uses live actors. tongue
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 719
Nathan - yes that was a great one! Travis and I bought the DVD last year, and absolutely loved it.

"300" is good - not historically accurate, no, but a good show.

I love all sorts of movies - and don't get philosophy in the way of enjoying most, hahah (though "Happy Feet" made we want to vomit. I think Al Gore secretly wrote the ending, and it had way too many sexual overtones for a kids' movie.)

"Elizabeth: The Golden Age" was very good.
"Horton Hears a Who" was wonderful!

Some others: I just watched "Kill Bill" 1 & 2 again a few nights ago - I know, I know...gratitous viloence and all that, but so well done.

"Intermission" an Irish film with Collin Farrel (the only movie I have ever seen him actually ACT in) very funny.

"Flight Plan" with Jodie Foster was pretty good, as well as "The Brave One".

One of my absolute favorite movies: "Harold & Maude" oh, and one of my favorite comedies of all time "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" - with an all start comedy cast from the 60s.

Movies I was absolutely disappointed in: "Blade Runner". You think Harrison Ford and Ridley Scott - how could you go wrong? Well, the first 45 minutes: BORING!!!!!

"Brazil" I thought this was the worst movie I had seen in a while until I saw "Blade Runner".

(I had to add those last two to prove to Emily that NO I DON'T like every movie I see! =P )

Oh wait - I forgot two more that I watched for the first time last week "The Gods Must Be Crazy" 1 & 2. Superb!
emily
user 3908472
Dallas, TX
Post #: 1
Very nice Sherry, I'm glad to see you have some discernment after all :)
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 731
I know - amazing isn't it?

By the way I LOVED "Mr. & Mrs. Smith"
Chris J.
gearjammer351
Dallas, TX
Post #: 120
The Kite Runner

It's based on a book I haven't read, but I found it riveting and moving. I was especially touched by the scenes illustrating the joy that musclecars can bring to people's lives biggrin

Seriously though, it is one which was critically acclaimed enough to make me reluctant to watch it, but I think it was great.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 736
Glad to hear the movie was good - I thought the book was very good, but haven't had a chance to see the movie yet.

This isn't a movie - but I downloaded the first two seasons of "Dexter" off Showtime's website, and it is a great program. Very violent though - but if you liked Quincy, Cold Case Files, well - this is a bit of that in it, but is mostly about a Serial Killer that hunts Serial Killers.