North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Books Covering Fall of Western Europe Through Dark Ages?

Books Covering Fall of Western Europe Through Dark Ages?

A former member
Post #: 8
It just recently dawned on me that I have a little bit of knowledge about Ancient Greece & Rome, and a little bit of knowledge about the Dark Ages, but I have absolutely no clue about how Western culture went from the one extreme to the other. Can anyone recommend a good book that covers what happened? How on earth was so much knowledge "lost"?

I'm looking for "readability", not necessarily an overload of dry facts and timelines. (No scholar, I).

Thanks!!!
Michele
A former member
Post #: 211
Michelle,

I recommend, with reservations, "Aristotle's Children" as a good start for your reading. Also the lecture on The Fall of Rome by Dr. John Lewis, available at the ARI bookstore.

I caution you that the first recommendation is fine until the end, when it attempts to reconcile reason and faith. (Like so many others). I think the book has good "readability" as you put it, but you couldn't have chosen a more complex subject. Several factors combined at just the right place and time to send western Europe into The Dark Ages.

Your topic is timely, as we today stand at the brink of another Dark Age.

Bona Fortuna

Pytheus
Mike
user 6603457
Killeen, TX
Post #: 1
I'm working my way through "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" by Edward Gibbon right now. It's clearly not an Objectivist book (it was published in 1776) but is the classic account of the onset of the dark ages and, at 764 pages in the abridged version, is extremely thorough. Despite the length and the time period it was published it is very readable.

-Mike
A former member
Post #: 214
Gibbon is a Maestro. I hope you're reading the Penguin hardback edition, it's the scholar's version with all the "juicy" footnotes.