align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › "Objectivism in One Lesson: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Ayn Ra

"Objectivism in One Lesson: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Ayn Rand" Anyone read it yet?

Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 844
Andrew Bernstein's latest book.
You can order it here:
http://andrewbernstei...­

Has anyone read it yet? I am still working on Capitalist Manifesto, but look forward to reading this one as well.
It sounds like it would be a good one to cover for those of us that would like something a little easier to read than OPAR. (Not to knock OPAR at all - but I wonder if reading this one first would make OPAR easier to digest, based on Andrew's writing style in his other book).

Anyone have any thoughts or reviews on this book?
Karen G.
skgainey
Sulphur, OK
Post #: 64
We have just finished this and it is excellent. In fact, we have already bought 4 copies... Christmas presents :-) Andrew Bernstein does a wonderful job explaining Objectivism for the lay person. Like Tara Smith, he builds his foundation and works up from there but it does not read like a college thesis. Do you remember Todd's emails on the fundamentals of philosophy and Objectivism? This book felt like a continuation of those. (Thank you Todd!)

In the past, I have used Loving Life as an intro to Objectivism but I have always held reservations with using it as such. It really does not fit into that category but I knew of nothing else except Atlas Shrugged, which is a large investment time-wise for someone who just wants to know why I have changed my way of thinking. This book is an objective primer on Objectivism and I would not hesitate to hand it to anyone.

I have not read OPAR yet, so don't know if this helps but it is in my pile so I will let you know (don't wait on me though - I have to say that unless the order of my pile changes, OPAR is nowhere near the top).

I have not read anything else by Andrew Bernstein but now I will have to look.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 862
Capitalist Manifesto is very good - great historical perspective on why capitalism is what we really need.
I haven't finished it yet though. I hope to be done sometime in January.

Thank you for the review! I have read most of OPAR, but would like to read Objectivism in One Lesson before I get back to it. And then perhaps Rand's Espitomology book. I have that one as well, and read a few chapters, but it is a bit too deep for easy reading, at least for me. Right now, I don't have the brain matter for something that indepth.

David V.
DavidVeksler
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 161
Andrew Bernstein's latest book.
You can order it here:
http://andrewbernstei...­
BTW, it's 28% cheaper at Amazon.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 864
Yeah I saw that too......haven't ordered it yet. I get to start back to work next week, so I figure I can finish his Capitalist first, and then by that time I will have some spare case again. WOOHOO!
Chad
prorescue
Norman, OK
Post #: 77
Over the years I've been through OPAR roughly 3 times. I'm now a little over half way through "... in One Lesson...". It is very good but more importantly fills what has been an obvious void for so long. The few people over the years I've managed to convince to look at OPAR never get more than a few pages into it. On more than one occasion, I heard, "It's interesting but I didn't really understand any of it..." This book should take those objections away. Also, in handing it to someone, you shouldn't get the standard reply of, "You want me to READ all of that..." you often get with OPAR since this is a relatively thin book.
This will now be the default book I give to someone to introduce them to Objectivism.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 874
This encouraging Chad - thanks for posting it! =)
I had to get another book first for a project I am working on, but still have this on my list.