North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Looking for book suggestions for kids

Looking for book suggestions for kids

Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 875
Hey there - I am interested in seeing what others have read when they were younger and enjoyed and/or what you have given your kids to read. This would be for kids 7 to 13 years old.

One series I loved as a kid was "The Great Brain Series". I am searching to find used copies, but of course Halfprice Books NEVER has them...may have to go online!

I bought " The Girl Who Owned A City" several weeks ago, but haven't had time to read it yet. I heard from a very good source (Julia) that it is a wonderful book.

Anyhoo - what do you suggest? I am looking for books that are fun, but are actually written well.

Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 29

Not really objectivist books, and I assume you already know about them, but I love the Harry Potter series. (Maybe a little old for the 7 year old.)

I also liked the Phillip Pullman "His Dark Materials" series. (A little anti catholic venom anyone? It's sort of "god exists, but he is an ineffective jerk controlled by the catholic church" themed.) Again, probably too old for the 7 year old.
A former member
Post #: 236
The amazing "Nimble the Thimble Mouse" is an early reader for kids 4-8. "Nimble", the hero, is an Odysseus-like character who defeats the evil rats. The author is clearly a genius.

Check it out at www.thimblemouse.com

Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 884
Yes - I should have mentioned Nimble! =)
Rebecca just read the unabridged Wonderful Wizard of Oz this weekend. I bought it Saturday night and she finished it by Sunday late afternoon. You couldn't tear her away from it!
Robert C.
rcanright
Plano, TX
Post #: 31
My 11 year old son liked the Eragon series of books by Christopher Paolini.
He liked the Spiderwick Chronicles. He read them all.

On the other hand, he does not enjoy Plutarch, but he and I sit down every week and read some from Plutarch's Lives of the Noble Greeks and Romans. We are reading now about Alexander the Great in Vol 2.. We read and we discuss. There is always a worthwhile lesson.

Robert Canright
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 896
My older 2 girls like Eragon as well, and one of the kids (cannot remember off hand which one at this moment) has read the first Spiderwick book.

Eden and Eve just finished The Girl Who Owned A City last week and both loved it.
Rebecca has just finished a book of Greek mythology for her "free reading".

I wish I could find some more of the books I read as a kid.

Scott C.
Scott_Connery
Dallas, TX
Post #: 102
Have spacesuit will travel by Heinlein is a favorite young adult book of mine.

Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 908
Thanks Scott. We have a lot of Heinlein in the house, but not that one. I will keep an eye out for it at the library or HalfPrice Books.

Scott C.
Scott_Connery
Dallas, TX
Post #: 103
It has most of the quality of Heinlein without the incest.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 910
Ah. Avoiding incest topics at this age would be good, haha.