Dallas, TX
Post #: 946
I hope it covers nothing.

Because nothing is better than Ayn Rand. wink
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 878
Hahah - so true....however...I think a lot of people may would stick around trying to learn what Objectivism is all about if there were some of the general ideas could be communicated in a less text book style (OPAR, Rand's Epistomology book for example).

When I was religious, my church had a saying from the bible "food at the proper time". In the bible, that was referring to spiritual food or knowledge of course. There is a large segment of the population that cannot yet understand what the philosophy is about just from reading her novels. Does that make them undeserving? Not necessarily, because perhaps they haven't had a good enough education to get her novels.

I for one, would have never understand as much as I did reading Atlas had I picked it up in high school, or even college.

My point is that I am happy that there are starting to be more books out there that can help spread some information about Objectivism that should and hopefully will pique the interest of people so that they will want to do the work to learn more about it.

A general over view is not a bad thing in many cases.
Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 946
Hahah - so true....however...

Actually, I meant it literally, sort of.

I hope Dr. Bernstein does cover "nothing." I'm referring to "reification of the zero," that is, the treating of the concept of "nothing" as a thing that somehow exists opposed to reality. Too many people would say: "nothing" is better than Ayn Rand. I would say: nothing is nothing, an invalid concept when used as somehow opposed to reality or equal to reality, and that Ayn Rand--and living on earth--is better than nothing.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 880
oooooooooooooooo...gotcha.