North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Rational Love Quotes

Rational Love Quotes

A former member
Post #: 8
I'm seeking some good rational quotes about love that exemplify my vales. I don't want to limit them only to Ayn Rand. Although she has some beautiful quotes about love and I'm open to them, I would like a little variety in the source of my quotes. Below are some of the quotes I've come up with so far. If anyone has anything to add to the mix I would love to see them.

To love is to value. Only a rationally selfish man, a man of self-esteem, is capable of love - because he is the only man capable of holding firm, consistent, uncompromising, unbetrayed values. The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.
-- Ayn Rand

Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.
--Robert A. Heinlein

To say 'I love you' one must first be able to say the 'I.'
--Ayn Rand
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 979
You know you are in love when you see the world in her eyes, and her eyes everywhere in the world.

- David Levesque -

Marriage is not a ritual or an end. It is a long, intricate, intimate dance together and nothing matters more
than your own sense of balance and your choice of partner.

- Amy Bloom -

Love is not blind - It sees more and not less, but because it sees more it is willing to see less.

- Will Moss -
A former member
Post #: 10
Real love is love at first sight given from one person who has made the conscious decision to blind themselves to the imperfections of the other and is only complete when returned with the same passionate and deliberate intolerance for seeing the other person as anything other than perfection.

-- Me!

This probably does not conform to objectivist values, but my opinion is that love is not a rational thing and that in order to experience the fullness of true love, one must be willing to accept the fact ahead of time that no one is perfect, and then allow themselves to make an exception to that case, allowing this one person's flaws to become the wonderful quirks that you have the honor to know more intimately than anyone else.
A former member
Post #: 77

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. I think love is totally a rational thing... That doesn't mean you are not aware of imperfections and quirks. Personally, I've watched more than a few seriously destructive relationships -- and the destructiveness has always been inversely proportional to the rationality.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 992
I agree, love is rational. Real love anyway. I think many people mistake just plain lust or other things for love.

Here's one - though maybe not very rational "Love means always remembering to put the toilet seat back down."
(Sorry Sarah, I couldn't help it.)

I am trying to find something Ray Bradbury wrote that I read several years ago that may be useful...I wish I could recall it off the top of my head, but it is going to require some research. Will report back if I ever find it.
A former member
Post #: 11
I apologize, I did not mean to offend, I did not note the word "rational" in the thread's title.

I do not mean to say that I do not think that love is possible, I personally believe that at least for me, as a rational and intelligent person, in order to experience love, I must make an exception, a compromise if you will, to rational logic.

I will politely disagree and bow out :)
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 996
I don't think any offense was taken.
Maybe you just need to meed someone that shares the same values. =)
A former member
Post #: 80
I apologize, I did not mean to offend, I did not note the word "rational" in the thread's title.

I do not mean to say that I do not think that love is possible, I personally believe that at least for me, as a rational and intelligent person, in order to experience love, I must make an exception, a compromise if you will, to rational logic.

I will politely disagree and bow out :)

You can disagree with me (and probably others) without offending me.
A former member
Post #: 13
Cool, I appreciate that :) I'm new here so I want to be somewhat polite.

Full tilt next time ;)
A former member
Post #: 83
Cool, I appreciate that :) I'm new here so I want to be somewhat polite.

Full tilt next time ;)

for that matter... I'm pretty new... and I'm not "here." I live a couple hours to the east.

As far as full tilt goes: bring it on! :)