North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › OCON 2010 (Las Vegas): Who's going this year?

OCON 2010 (Las Vegas): Who's going this year?

Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 1,076

http://www.objectivis...­

Santiago & Kelly (now living in Colorado) said they will be there.

Karl Meisenback said he will be there and he wrote on our facebook page: "If anybody has questions about the objectivist summer conference, i've attended the past 3 years so let me know if you have any questions."

My wife and I are not planning to go, though we wish we could. We don't think it would make for a good family vacation, and we have way too much on our plate this year.
David V.
HeroicLife
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 206
Sarah and I are considering going.
JoAnne D.
user 5072024
Dallas, TX
Post #: 27
I am so envious!! I really wish I could go!
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 1,055
Maybe if they added a water slide.
I am waiting for the day when there is enough O'ists with minions so that they have a little O camp too. Kill 2 birds with one stone and all that.

And doggie daycare.
JoAnne D.
user 5072024
Dallas, TX
Post #: 28
Maybe if they added a water slide.
I am waiting for the day when there is enough O'ists with minions so that they have a little O camp too. Kill 2 birds with one stone and all that.

And doggie daycare.

For the record... You are wrong.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 1,056
Wrong about a water slide? How is adding a water slide to anything not an improvement?
I am sure OCON is the bomb and all that but just think of how adding a water slide would make it even better!

But I only go to Vegas for three things: 1. drinking; 2. gambling; 3. escape so not sure OCON would fit in with my narrowly defined expectations of Vegas.

Karl M.
user 9451959
Dallas, TX
Post #: 1
I've attended OCON the past 3 years and taken a full schedule of courses. I've signed up for this year in Vegas and taking a full schedule of courses.

The value is getting to interact with all the Objectivists intellectuals i've been reading/listening to for the past 10 years. It's also high value to be totally immersed in Objectivist thinking for the 8 days, and it's interesting to build on my knowledge/understanding from one course to another. The costs do add up, a full load of courses, plus the general sessions, group meals, etc.. added up to $2,200 this year, plus another ? $1,350 for 9 nights hotel, airfare, meals, plus I always spend another $1000 on books/tapes in the bookstore.

It's been worth it to me personally based on the value of visiting with all the Objectivists, week long immersion in objectivist thinking, meeting other objectivists -some who have been coming to OCON, or a version of it, for the past 30 years.... It's like a week of living in Galt's Gulch.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 1,057
I am just being cheeky about the Vegas thing - myself, personally, I would just be way too distracted. smile I do appreciate why people attend.
Chad
prorescue
Norman, OK
Post #: 71
For the record... you are correct.
Water slides are awesome. As there is not yet a large amount of O'ist oriented material for children (it is desperately needed), they would enjoy it. As for adults, what's wrong with rest and relaxation after 8 hours of intensive intellectual philosophical thought? If being grown up means no water slides, count me out.
As for the conference, I would love to attend (with or without slides), but my time and money are already spoken for this summer.
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 1,058
"If being grown up means no water slides, count me out. "

I will be using that quote for years to come, just so you know. =)