Midwest Meet a Geek Message Board Club Feedback › How Often Should We Meet?

How Often Should We Meet?

Jenilee D.
MasterGeek
Group Organizer
Mercer, PA
Post #: 1
I would like to get the group's thoughts on how often they would like to attend meetings. I think Weekly or Twice a Month would be good. Monthly does not feel often enough, but if the majority of our members can only make it to one meet a month, this would be good to know so we can best schedule things.

Also should we have specific agendas, or kind of a free for all? Example: First saturday of every month devote to anime, Third Thursday of every month devote to Table Top Gaming, etc? Or Just state a date and location, and figure things out on the fly based on the preferences of those in attendance once the meeting gets under way? Both have their advantages, type 1 is a bit more organized and less chaotic. It allows people to coordinate and know which resources to bring "should I bring my dice and books, or maybe bring a dvd for the group to enjoy?" that sort of thing. It also allows people to quickly find the exact meets that interest them. The downside is we will have smaller meets, because not everyone in the group will like anime, not everyone will like computer games, and not everyone will like D&D type games. I find one of the large downsides to a freestyle meet is that often durring the meet, especially as we get the same members attending multiple meets, we will see cliques forming and segmentations durring the meeting which can be very intimidating to new members, so I'm kinda leaning in favor of having smaller, but highly specialized subject matter for each meet, and rotating out what we are meeting about at every meet. But I am open to suggestions.
Henry
user 58509412
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 2
I'd do a little of both. Keep some things planned (1-2 times a month) while leaving room for flexibility

I would say carry an ongoing discussion people can use more like a chat room to agree on/plan things spontaneous aside from planned events. i.e.-"Hey, who wants to get together and watch some anime" etc.