Midwest Meet a Geek Message Board Club Feedback › What to do about kids?

What to do about kids?

Jenilee D.
MasterGeek
Group Organizer
Mercer, PA
Post #: 7
As I'm sure you know, anime, and many scifi movies and games contain inappropriate materials for kiddos. I am thinking that we should disallow children unless accompanied by an adult to their first meetup, where in the adult will be counseled and explained that there are some things they may not want their child to encounter before the meetup begins. If parent is willing, they can sign some sort of waiver at said counseling where in the future they are free to drop kiddos off or let kiddies come unsupervised. They will have to sign accepting that we are not a daycare service and that we are not responsible for lost, missing, hurt, or injured children, as well as aknowledge the type of content they will encounter.

Anyone want to help me create said waiver?
Paul K.
user 13123209
Akron, OH
Post #: 1
That's a good idea. You may want to look online for some basic guidelines unless we have an attorney in the group (I promise not to judge). I would suggest that, if we do anything where alcohol is involved we exclude anyone under the age of 21 (I know of some groups that have had problems even if the under aged didn't drink). Lastly, should we set a minimum age? and if so, what?
Jenilee D.
MasterGeek
Group Organizer
Mercer, PA
Post #: 9
I have taken a stab at making a 1 page consent form. Link: http://files.meetup.c...­

If anyone has any suggestions on making this more professional, more clear/concise, etc or any other improvements please share them in this thread.

-----------

As for an age cut off, I do not want to ostracize geek parents with small children from attending the meetup ie: feeling they have to find a babysitter, or that their child is unwelcome, but i do think there needs to be some limit on children who are merely "dropped off". I think a good age may be 11 and under require parents to be in attendance with the child. 12 and up, child can be dropped off at events without alcohol. I started watching anime at age 13, and i think for the most part, most D&D campaigns would be appropriate for a 13 or 14 year old. So that is my point of reference.

We actually have a sponsor lined up - though i am unsure if it will be for this club or an offshoot of this club. I was approached by social interactions who sponsors north coast gamers. They mentioned they had wanted to start a meetup for anime and cosplay and ren-faire and that our two groups have a lot of overlap so they are willing to help us out with some of our expenses if we host a few meetings in Hudson.

I mention this because, social interactions is a non profit which focuses on encouraging adults and youth to work and play together to enhance communication between various age groups. So I imagine our (potential) sponsor would not be too thrilled if we had a no child rule at our meetings :) Though I do see where we need to be careful if having open access to alcohol.
Paul K.
user 13123209
Akron, OH
Post #: 2
I have no problem with parents bringing their kids, my remark was about unsupervised minors. I agree 12-13 should be ok, and your waiver looks good. I was kicking around the things it would have to cover in my mind, and now that I see it in print we read like we're hell spawn or something. lol My only suggestions would be adding "meetup.com" to the list of those that are not responsible, and maybe something saying they (the person signing) are legally aloud to sign for the child ie. parent or legal guardian. Other than that it looks good to me.
A former member
Post #: 1
I think the ages you mentioned are appropriate. Although I gave up my childhood early, I remember the first day I saw anime I was about 9 years old and watched Akira followed by Robot Carnival. My mind was both opened incredibly and inspired :)