align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Midwest Meet a Geek Message Board Anime General Discussion › What do you want to watch this Saturday?

What do you want to watch this Saturday?

Jenilee D.
MasterGeek
Group Organizer
Mercer, PA
Post #: 20
I have some things in mind already. Panera has free wifi and I have the highest level of premium subcriptions for crunchyroll.com

I plan to include a good mix of things but if something is shown that there's no interest in we can adjust as we go!

I plan to show 2 episodes from a mecha anime (already have one in mind but I'm at work and cant recall the title, its new this season on crunchy roll)
2 from a fantasy/adventure/actiony anime (I think Sword Art Online, I watched the first episode and it is really good and getting rave reviews)

and then I can't decide if I'll do 2 comedy, 2 romance, or 2 horror.

I lean more in favor of the comedy and romance/dramas especially with the other two being "high action" but I can watch this stuff at any time, so I rather do something the group likes.

If you have a preference, or want to suggest a title ((preferably something from crunchyroll.com (they have litterally more anime than we could watch in 50 years' worth of club meetings lol)) then feel free to reply here :)

Also my laptop has a dvd player, but no bluray for those considering bringing in their private collection - also technically, we can get in trouble for showing those (its part of the FBI warning if you look it says you will use for private viewing only), but I doubt anyone is going to bust us over it. Still, I would feel more at ease with fansubs and unlicensed stuff :)
A former member
Post #: 3
I'd definitely vote for something like 1 comedy and 1 romance. My favorite kind of stuff is the serious, tugs at your heartstrings kind of shows. I've got a fairly sizable physical collection as well if anybody needed me to bring something (and -technically- showing a DVD to a group of friends would be considered private use :3).

Anywho, that's my 2 cents ^^
Jenilee D.
MasterGeek
Group Organizer
Mercer, PA
Post #: 21
:) Thanks for the reply. Those are also generally my favorite kinds of shows as well. Showing a DVD to a group of friends in someone's house is fine, its once we start gathering in a public place that the law becomes weird.

"Any exhibition of a movie outside the privacy of a home setting is considered a public performance."

"Do we need a license even if we don’t charge admission?"

"Yes! A license is required for all public performances regardless of whether admission is charged."

"I own the movie. Do I still need a license to show it outside my home?"

"Yes. Neither the rental, purchase or lending of a videocassette or DVD carries with it the right to exhibit movies outside the home."

"A small group is having an informal gathering in our facility. Do we still need a license?

"Yes! A license needs to be obtained regardless of the number of people attending the screening, if the movie is being shown outside your home."

Source: http://parks.swank.co...­

So as you can see - the problem is that we want to meet in public - though I'm cool with meeting at people's houses too, mostly, except that I can be REALLY REALLY shy, and it's just a lot more comfortable for me on some "neutral" grounds. Plus, I'm in the process of moving right now and my house is a mess, so having people over right now is not practical. :) I'm all for us having meetings at people's houses maybe once we all know eachother a bit better.
Jenilee D.
MasterGeek
Group Organizer
Mercer, PA
Post #: 22
Plus there is litterally hundreds if not thousands of anime that has not been licensed in America, and this is good for a few reasons

1.) Helps introduce people to new series that they can't go to best buy or walmart and pick up off the shelf, or can't turn on cartoon network, or even the anime network and see from their home.

2.) Helps spread awareness of anime series, which leads to them getting liscensed and helping the anime industry in general.

3.) They are free (or nearly free, I pay a small monthly fee for crunchyroll but there are alternatives out there, I'm just a big fan of crunchyroll in general)

4.) They keep us out of legal trouble

5.) New stuff (fans always translate stuff before the "big" companies) And often times these translations are more accurate and pure too, since "big" companies feel the need to edit, change, or over americanize everything.
A former member
Post #: 4
Ah, well at least somebody read the fine print then :P And yeah I'm all for spreading the more obscure stuff, as well as meetups at other people's places (but it's the same thing about being shy for me, just getting there this weekend has been a ton of mental preparation). And I'm just gonna throw it out there - I may live with my mom, but I've got an entire second floor to myself that would have plenty of room for... some number of people lol. Should the group decide to do more personal hangouts and whatnot.

Honestly I'd love to share Robot Carnival with the group at some point. For those that haven't heard of it, there was basically a festival devoted to new anime talent back in the 80's, where the only requirement for each film was that the basis of the stories involved robots. What came out of it is Robot Carnival, a collection of 9 short films that all are very different and unique and beautiful. Both the dubbed and subbed versions have awful translations, but even so, I think it's a unique experience that you can feel the beauty of.

Annnnnd end ramble :P
Jenilee D.
MasterGeek
Group Organizer
Mercer, PA
Post #: 23
I love robot carnival :) I remember seeing it on the Scifi network (now syfy channel) back in the mid 90s.

Actually the scifi channel is where I first gained exposure to anime. My mom was flipping through channels, Scifi was showing Project AKO at the time, and she says "hey aren't those the guys from your game?" They of course weren't but she recognized the japanese art style, ever since then I've been hooked on anime. I remember getting up early just to watch it on saturday mornings, and eventually made my first anime purchase, which was ranma 1/2 and slayers lol. That was forever ago :).

And on the topic of personal hangouts, anyone can suggest a meetup on our calendar, it only takes 2 other members to say they're going for it to become an official event :) And well since you have your best friend and their fiancee, you shouldnt have any trouble promoting the events and getting them started.

Hopefully once I get moved into my (hopefully soon to be ((pending final appraisal))) new place we can do some fun stuff there, we have a big yard and patio for bbqs, and even a pool :). It will be a bit of a drive but still within about 30 to 35 minutes of the twinsburg area. I have pets though so anyone with allergies should be warned.
A former member
Post #: 5
You are officially the first person I've met to have actually seen RC lol. Even back then when I first saw it at like 10 years old, the story of the old man and the doll made me cry like a baby, and I couldn't even understand why.

As far as starting events, I feel like I'd be stealing your thunder D: But, I'm hoping to become good friends with as many people as possible, so I suppose I might set something up some time down the road.

Also... even though I didn't discover anime there, I still miss the good old Toonami days. It still puts the Adult Swim lineup to shame. Hell, they showed Robotech back then.