Midwest Meet a Geek Message Board Video Games › Guild Wars 2?

Guild Wars 2?

Jenilee D.
MasterGeek
Group Organizer
Mercer, PA
Post #: 40
Anyone get this game? I'm on Sorrow's Furnace (name of server) for no reason other than I liked the name lol. I don't know anyone though ^^; If anyone gets the game let me know! I'm not above changing servers once I get some money for a world pass.
A former member
Post #: 86
I've been really tempted to pick this up. Any thoughts on it? I keep hoping for an MMO to nail character driven stories and I've heard this has something in place for that. Not sure if its as canned as SWTOR's attempt at it though. Also, how solo-friendly is it? I tend to play MMOs alone for some strange reason.
Jenilee D.
MasterGeek
Group Organizer
Mercer, PA
Post #: 43
I'm not qualified yet to answer that. I also played (and was disapointed in) STWOR. I'm too low level to say in Guild Wars. However it's very different mechanic wise. Everything happens in real time, and your choices definitely have lasting consequences.

I would recommend their official website and/or google for more info.

Especially:

https://www.guildwars...­

and

https://www.guildwars...­

As for solo, I have not grouped yet. All the fights scale based on how many people and their levels, so I don't think it is a problem. Also there is no kill stealing and no waiting for respawns. Everyone who helps kill something gets their own XP relative to their own levels and their own randomly generated loot table of appropriate gear/item for their level and contribution towards the kill. It encourages everyone regardless of level to work together, but you don't have to be in a group to do so. The makers of the game said they want to create a game where instead of thinking "Here comes that asswipe taking my kill" you will feel "excited/appreciative/happy to see other players join in the fight, since there's absolutely no negative consequences for you or your group. It also allows even the lowest level players to go experience fun event based content without worrying that they are too low level.

I'm enjoying it - just haven't had time with this new puppy and moving.
A former member
Post #: 10
I'm actually also on Sorrow's Furnace, and I believe Jacob is too :3
Jenilee D.
MasterGeek
Group Organizer
Mercer, PA
Post #: 45
Sweet :D we should group up sometime - although I need to catch up first, haven't played since saturday. dang dog takes up crazy amounts of my time now lol.
Henry
user 58509412
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 8
I've already shelved SWTOR, Rift, and atm WoW, but who knows on the last. My brothers and I have cancelled our subscriptions 3 different times and always ended up back on WoW. It would take a lot for me to pick up another MMO due to their time consuming nature.
Jenilee D.
MasterGeek
Group Organizer
Mercer, PA
Post #: 46
Yeah I've tried just about every MMO on the market, from free to pay to play, ever since Everquest I. EQ 1 was still the best MMORPG ever. My hubby is trying to get me back into WoW, but honestly I hate it, I think the reason I hate it IS because of the time consuming nature.

I was in a guild (with hubby) that was just too damn "leet" for me. 3 nights a week from 9pm til midnight est. They would always bitch about my DPS, and I had only 2 or 3 "friends" in the guild, and I HATED my caster leader she was a "C U Next Tuesday". lol. All of that just completely drained the fun out of the game for me.

I work 45+ hours a week, and at the time, I was also in school full time (greater than 15 credit hours) pursuing my MBA. If I left early cuz of work or school they would be REALLY nasty to me (especially said caster leader). She would also be nasty if I took things up (for example gave a notice that I would have to leave at 11 instead of midnight) with the guild leader or his co-leader instead of her. Because she felt it was "her job" to handle all of that.

She was also like a damn parrot, and repeated everything over ventrillo that our guild leader said. It's like, you know we can hear him you don't have to repeat it. ARGH..... She is about 99.95% of the reason that I quit the game I think lol.

She had no job or life I swear to god. She was not a child either, she actually had a kid (but no man. her kid was disabled, and she was probably living off of the kid's disability checks) lol. And for people who DO have a life and job, MMO ARE VERY time consuming lol. I can't believe I put up with that shit for 5 years, I feel so good to be FREE.... Hubs thinks I will go back for pandoria. I'm like HELLSTOTHENO. LOL
Henry
user 58509412
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 9
Well wow might not be so bad for you these days. They recently introduced a system that let's you randomly pug raids with random folks from other servers. So you and the hubby can do a raid together anytime you like without a guild.
Jenilee D.
MasterGeek
Group Organizer
Mercer, PA
Post #: 47
Ya except hubs is the guild's main tank, and tanking lead and pretty close with most the peeps :) I prefer Guild Wars 2, Perfect World, and Mabinogi all over WoW :) and all of which have no subscription cost
A former member
Post #: 11
People are the reason I quit WoW and decided to never go back. I learned to main tank in a top-end raiding guild back when Kara was current, and then had to watch the game slip into casual-land and baby-head-ville. Never again, lol.

GW2 is pretty fun so far, already lvl 13 with a warrior (didn't get early access so that's why I'm not 80 yet :P). Other than that it's just The Secret World, which I pretty much can't explain how much I like it.