addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Ohio Valley Camera Club Message Board Share Your Images › Tillandsia macro

Tillandsia macro

Nikon D.
Nikon_Darrel
Cincinnati, OH
Post #: 4,592
Image was processed with Color Efex Pro detail extractor filter.
Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Darrel
http://photos2.meetup...­
Bob W.
user 5129025
Ft Mitchell, KY
Post #: 2,881
Darrel, looks like your sensor needs cleaning as there are several spots on the top half. Also suggest you mask off the background when you do sharpening, it we'll leave a smoother background with the subject sharp.
Fred H.
Vartok
Cincinnati, OH
Post #: 835
I like the unusual brown color variation for the background. For me I would be tempted to decrease the aperture to say f/5.6 (?) or a tad smaller to get more of the flower head in focus, parts were but the upper half is out of focus.
Nikon D.
Nikon_Darrel
Cincinnati, OH
Post #: 4,594
Darrel, looks like your sensor needs cleaning as there are several spots on the top half. Also suggest you mask off the background when you do sharpening, it we'll leave a smoother background with the subject sharp.
Yes it does Bob.
Masking requires Photoshop right?

Thanks
Darrel
Nikon D.
Nikon_Darrel
Cincinnati, OH
Post #: 4,595
I like the unusual brown color variation for the background. For me I would be tempted to decrease the aperture to say f/5.6 (?) or a tad smaller to get more of the flower head in focus, parts were but the upper half is out of focus.
Fred, the image was shot a f/8, I need to focus on a different point of the bloom.
I considered using a wider aperture to decrease the DOF.

Back to my basement macro studio.

Thanks,

Darrel
Bob W.
user 5129025
Ft Mitchell, KY
Post #: 2,883
If you are using Lightroom there is a method to sharpen just the area you want using the Adjustment Brush. Masking can be done with Elements and PS. Lightroom does have a form of masking just not as advanced as PS.
Nikon D.
Nikon_Darrel
Cincinnati, OH
Post #: 4,596
I was aware of the Adjustment Brush but have never used it for sharping. I will give it a try.
Thanks.

Darrel
Dan P.
paterdr
Hamilton, OH
Post #: 880
Darrel, as you probably know, there is auto-masking with the LR Local Adjustment Brush, by which the feathering itself can be adjusted. Using that judiciously, and getting in close will do a respectable job adequate for everyone but the the most dedicated pixel peeper. However, I'd probably go to Photoshop (Elements as well?), make a mask feathered to 2-4 pixels and then apply the lens blur filter. It would actually be easier.
Spot removal is a cinch in either LR or PS Camera Raw.
Paul M.
paulmiles
Cincinnati, OH
Post #: 4,837
Darrel, I have been using Photomatix as a detail extractor. If you open a single file in photomatix, it will display a bunch of options on the right for you to choose. Sometimes you have to click on tone mapping after the file is open. PSP also has a local tone mapping feature that brings out detail.