Olympia Geeks and Gamers Message Board › Homebrew Setting Design

Homebrew Setting Design

A former member
Post #: 3
Hey everybody! I don't know about you guys but I really enjoy creating new settings and new stuff (rules, classes, feats, etc.) for my games. I've decided to create a new setting for the Pathfinder game, but I haven't been very motivated lately. I'm in the middle of transitioning out of the Army and my mind has been rather preoccupied. So I thought maybe some other folks might want to jump in and we all create a setting together as a collaborative project.

Before I go any further let me make this one point perfectly clear: THIS IS FOR FUN, NOT FOR PROFIT. This isn't something I want to publish or make money off of. This is just a creative project that I thought would be fun to do as a group. I don't even care if it is strictly open content or not. It is for FUN and at home play. I'm not looking to create the next big thing in RPG settings. I'm just looking to create a new world to possibly run games in.

I have some basic concepts that I want to include, but nothing concrete yet. I'm not looking to redefine the Pathfinder game either. I just want to create a new setting and maybe some new optional rules and add-ons and such.

I don't have much detail to put out right now, but I've got 24 hr. staff duty tonight, so I may come up with something over night and then post it later. For now I just want to see if anyone is interested in this idea.

What I have imagined is we come up with various ideas through this discussion board (or email or something) and then each have a homework assignment and then we come back and discuss our individual parts and figure out how to fit them together. As we decide on ideas to keep I will start working on a consolidated document as a sort of draft and eventually a setting guide. I think it might be helpful to have some sort of group site that allows us to post files for things like maps and documents so that everyone has access to whatever we have come up with. Any ideas for a good FREE site to use for this?

And since we are on a meetup site and I'm an event organizer we could even schedule meetings in person if we wanted to.

But FIRST let's see if any one is even interested. I'll be keeping an eye on this discussion... Just let me know what you think!

Later,

Wade
Jenna M.
user 13200572
Olympia, WA
Post #: 43
Is there a possibility that after the creative process is all said and done that the setting/game would be played by the same group of people?

I'm intrigued, but I am not familiar with the Pathfinder Games at all, so I'd have to see where this goes in regards to everyone else before I dig into research and familiarize myself.
A former member
Post #: 4
Well, duh, of course! That's the whole point. But I was thinking more that we would play games AS we design stuff. Like, create a small corner of the world and play a short adventure or something and see how well the setting works. And of course play test any new rules or whatever that we may come up with. But for right now I'm just seeing if anyone is interested. If I don't get enough feedback I'm not going to pursue it. I mean, I'm always working on my world, but I'm not gonna push the group thing if there aren't a considerable number of people that want to join in.

Andrew H.
MechaPowered
Olympia, WA
Post #: 162
I do have an idea for a setting, world...deities, major events all pre-made..I'm just thinking of throwing it all in together to form an RPG setting, just havn't found the time to write it all down...though it's still all very much work in progress as I have no one to really talk to about bouncing ideas around, alot of it seems to me like simple conversions of classes...if Interested lemme know, shoot me an email or PM or skype me at slashermas and I'll let you know more :)
Kevin
user 49349992
Olympia, WA
Post #: 1
Sounds interesting - are you looking for contributions? ideas? maps? How will you be able to integrate everyone's ideas into one setting? Do you have an opening scene, then we could add to it, shape it , and give it a life of it's own? Kind of like writing a story? Or are you looking for homebrew dungeons /exploration /scenarios?
Cheers, Kevin