Olympia Geeks and Gamers Message Board › Suggested Meetup: Chronicles of Amber/Lords of Gossamer and Shadow DRPG game

Suggested Meetup: Chronicles of Amber/Lords of Gossamer and Shadow DRPG game (GM needed)

user 9785159
Lacey, WA
Post #: 136
Migrated from the "Suggested Meetups" section.

"I'd really like the chance to play a game of Amber since I've never done it before (though I have GMed). I've available on Saturdays and, soon, Sundays; however, I might be available on other days if the sessions are short (2, maybe 3 hours tops). Other people are welcome to express interest as potential players as well. Just keep in mind that I won't be GMing this game.

About the system: Amber is based of The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. It's a diceless system with a heavy focus on RPing. Even combat is 90% RPing, with the GM just moderating and using the characters' stats as a reference. Most characters are part of a royal family of overpowered gods. However, since only another member of their own family can truly oppose them, this creates conflict, mystery, plotting, and political strife. These god-like characters exist in the medieval fantasy kingdom of Amber, which exists on Real Earth. Amber then casts "shadows" of other worlds. These shadows (or alternate dimensions) can be walked to by the royals of Amber. Our Earth is referred to as "Shadow Earth" in game. Everything exists in the Amber multiverse, so a character could catch a legendary pokemon to use in battle or seek advice from Yoda. Just note that magic and technology don't always travel between other worlds well.
Reading the first five volumes of The Chronicles of Amber is usually suggested for an Amber game, but not necessarily required.
The game Lords of Gossamer and Shadow is newer and based off of Amber. However, it's set in it's own, unique multiverse, so players don't need to read The Chronicles of Amber in order to play it. I included it in case the potential GM was more familiar with that game than Amber. I'm down to play either." - queien

Brian Koran

I've read a few of the Amber books, and it seems like a great series. Playing in the setting would be awesome, especially if you play as Princes with power over Shadow.

Like · Reply · 5 days ago · Mute

The setting is indeed very awesome as an RPG. I've run a few games, and players really like the world. The shadow walking aspect is usually a well loved part of the game because players get to have full power over world building, which also means that the GM has less work. I hope we can find a GM, but they're apparently pretty rare...

Like · 5 days ago

Brian Koran

If nothing else, we could do a D&D game with something akin to Amber for the setting. That way we'd be merging the Amber thread and the D&D/Pathfinder thread. =)
Admittedly, the shadow walking would make for very... complicated D&D mechanics. But I have had to cope with some unusual stuff GM'ing in the past, lol

Like · 4 days ago

That's always an option. It might be a little difficult to translate over the powers (and depending on how close to the Amber DRPG we'd want to go, the ridiculous stats; the weakest Corwin premade has 21,16, 81, and 85 in his stats while an average human has straight -25s). However, I could see it working.

Like · 4 days ago