addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Olympia Geeks and Gamers Message Board › 10 Minute Background

10 Minute Background

Devin
user 10971098
Olympia, WA
Post #: 30
"10 Minute Background"

I am basing this off of the 10 minute background I found on the wizards website. I will modify it to what I can use in our campaign.

1. Write 5 (or more if you want) background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. I would like it to include a concept overview, a list of important life events, a physical description, a personality profile, and whatever else you need to get an image in your mind.

2. List at least two goals for the character. At least one of these goals should be one that the character can get relatively quickly (an item or something), while another should be one that you want to see developed over the course of the game.

3. Describe at least three people that are tied to the character. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile.
Jenna M.
user 13200572
Olympia, WA
Post #: 9
(Don't know what this thread is FOR exactly, but...)

Here is the Word Doc/Post example I found when I made mine. ( http://dorkutopia.com...­ ) Word Doc is at the bottom. I found the examples very helpful, and the extra steps were fun to think up.
Devin
user 10971098
Olympia, WA
Post #: 31
Thanks for the link Jenna. This is for my other D&D game as well as any new players to either of my games. It's a reference point for what I want in a 10 min background.
A former member
Post #: 38
DEVIN, HERE ARE MY ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS. I DON'T KNOW ANY OF THE HISTORY OF D&D SO I HAD TO MAKE SOME STUFF UP, AND JUST GLOSSED OVER NAMES OF TOWNS AND SUCH. MAYBE WE CAN TAKE SOME TIME ON FRIDAY AND FILL IN THE GAPS IF THEY'RE IMPORTANT.

HOPE THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED.

AND JASON, IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE THE RELATIONSHIP PIECE BETWEEN OUR CHARACTERS, LET ME KNOW, THIS IS WHAT I THOUGHT MIGHT BE BELIEVABLE AND KEEP THE BANTERING--WHICH IS A LOT OF FUN--ALIVE AND ACTIVE IN THE GAME.

1. Write 5 (or more if you want) background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. I would like it to include a concept overview, a list of important life events, a physical description, a personality profile, and whatever else you need to get an image in your mind.

TEMPEST WAS THE DAUGHTER OF AN ASTRONOMER. HE DIED WHEN SHE WAS 10, LEAVING SHE AND HER MOTHER TO FEND FOR THEMSELVES. TO PASS THE LONELY NIGHTS AS HER MOTHER WORKED, TEMPEST WOULD SIT WITH THE LOCAL CRAZY MAN IN HER VILLAGE. HE TURNED OUT TO BE A POWERFUL WARLOCK TURNED HALF MAD BY HIS PACT WITH A DEMON. TEMPEST LEARNED ALL SHE COULD FROM THE MAN, AND WHEN HER MOTHER ALSO DIED, SHE MOVED TO ANOTHER CITY AND FINISHED HER STUDIES TO BECOME A WARLOCK. MONEY BEING SOMETHING SHE ALWAYS NEEDED BUT NEVER HAD, SHE SOLD HER MAGIC SKILLS TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER AND BECAME A MERCENARY FOR HIRE. TEMPEST IS TALL, WITH AVERAGE LOOKS, AND JET BLACK HAIR USUALLY WORN LOSE OR IN A LONG BRAID TO THE MIDDLE OF HER BACK. HER EYES ARE PALE BLUE ALMOST SILVER AND SHE HAS A GENERALLY CALM, CLEAR HEADED DEMENOR, THOUGH SHE CAN HAVE A SHARP TONGUE WHEN NECESSARY. SHE VALUES MONEY HIGHLY, AND WILL TAKE ANY JOB THAT FITS WITHIN THE LAWS OF THE LAND--AND OCCASSIONAL HER OWN MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THOSE SAME LAWS. SHE HAS A SOFT SPOT FOR ORPHANED CHILDREN AND BABY DRAGONS.

2. List at least two goals for the character. At least one of these goals should be one that the character can get relatively quickly (an item or something), while another should be one that you want to see developed over the course of the game.

TEMPEST WOULD EVENTUALLY LIKE TO TEACH THE STAR PACT ARTS TO AN APPRENTICE, PREFERABLY HER OWN CHILDREN AFTER SETTING DOWN AND MARRYING. IN THE SHORT TERM HOWEVER, SHE HAS A NEED TO AMASS A FULL SET OF MAGICAL ARMOR, AND THOUGH SHE KNOWS THIS WILL TAKE SOME TIME, TIME IS SOMETHING SHE HAS PLENTY OF.

3. Describe at least three people that are tied to the character. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile.

TEMPEST AND LUCIAN MET NOT LONG AFTER TEMPEST COMPLETED HER SCHOOLING. DESPITE THEIR INNITIAL DISLIKE OF EACH OTHER, THEY EVENTUALLY GOT INTO ENOUGH CLOSE CALLS THAT THEIR HORMONES TOOK OVER. IN AN EFFORT TO FORCE THEMSELVES TO NEVER LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN, THEY CONCOCTED A STORY THAT THEY WERE REALLY BROTHER AND SISTER AND THAT THEY HATED EACH OTHER, EVEN INVENTING A BET AS TO WHO COULD MAKE MORE MONEY THAN THE OTHER WITHIN A YEAR. BUT DESPITE THE CONSTANT BANTER, SCATHING COMMENTS, AND PRESENTED DISLIKE, THEY CAN'T SEEM TO KEEP THEIR HORMONES IN CHECK AFTER A JOB. IT'S BECOME QUITE A TASK TO KEEP THE OTHERS IN THEIR GROUP FROM NOTICING.

TEMPEST IS STILL CLOSE WITH GREGORIE, THE HALF CRAZY WARLOCK FROM HER VILLAGE. EVERY YEAR SHE MAKES THE JOURNEY TO HER SMALL TOWN, TO CHECK ON HIM, GIVE HIM SOME MONEY, AND MAKE SURE HE'S CARED FOR FOR THE NEXT YEAR.

REORDAN WAS A FELLOW STUDENT AT THE SCHOOL WHERE TEMPEST STUDIED. SHE AND REORDAN WERE IN CONSTANT COMPETITION WITH EACH OTHER FOR THEIR MASTER'S PRAISE, AND WHILE REORDAN OFTEN RECEIVED THAT PRAISE, IT WAS TEMPEST WHOM THE MASTER ALLOWED TO STAY LONG INTO THE NIGHT, DISCUSSING INDEPTH STUDIES. REORDAN'S TECHNIQUES WERE FLAWLESS, BUT THE MASTER SENSED MUCH MORE POTENTIAL IN TEMPEST. DURING THE FINAL EXAMINATIONS, AND DESPITE REORDAN'S CONSTANT PRAISES, IT WAS TEMPEST WHO WAS AWARDED THE SCHOOL'S HIGHEST HONORS. THIS INFURIATED REORDAN WHO VOWED THAT HE WOULD ONE DAY PROVE TO THEIR MASTER THAT HE, NOT TEMPEST, WAS THE GRATEST WARLOCK OF ALL TIMES--TO WHICH TEMPEST GAVE THE SHARP REPLY THAT SHE DIDN'T HAVE TO BE THE GREATEST WARLOCK OF ALL TIME, JUST WAY BETTER THEN HIM. REORDAN DISAPPEARED THAT NIGHT AND HASN'T BEEN HEARD FROM SINCE.
Kevin
user 11922380
Olympia, WA
Post #: 4
Okay Devin, I sent you my character background for the dark sun campaign, but the email I got from you was giving unsendible errors, so I had to send it via the Meetup automail. Please let me know if you've gotten it. :)
Kai L.
user 6119319
Olympia, WA
Post #: 9
Aukan Kenstrath (pronounced Ahken)
1. Aukan is a 34 year old 7' 4" 315 pound Goliath
He was raised in a lower middle class religious family. The lower class of his family drove his desire to be able to afford some of the finer things in life, while the religous aspect is the source of his desire to help and protect others (hence his training as a Warden).

Markings on his face display his status as a Warden to the world. Even though he desires to help those around him, Aukan is discerning about whom he chooses to help, but once he decides nothing will prevent him from accomplishing his goal.

Aukan's parents are dead. He had one sibling, a sister named Aniece, that was presumed to have died during a coup d'etat in his hometown when he was 8 (she was 14). The coup failed and the men thought responsible for her death were put to death for their part in the uprising.

Aukan is one of the more level-headed of the adventurers in his group. He is slow to anger, but when he does almost nothing can stop him from doing as he pleases due to his strength and ability to take a beating. Having grown up poor he enjoys consuming expensive alcohol and exotic foods as a reminder of his efforts to raise his social stature.

2. Aukan wants to help those in need, but will not if it would involve tremendous sacrifice on his part. He is equally concerned with advancing his station in life through adventuring, a goal to become one of the strongest and richest adventurers in the world. One of the steps on that path involves acquiring magical weapons and armor whicle imrpoving his skills as a Warden.

3. Aniece (Aneece)- characters sister whom is 6 years older than him, she is presumed dead by Aukan.
Frieslien Nuyorn (Freeze-lin New-yorn)- Aukan's mentor and teacher for his Warden training.
Qshio Dobrus (Don't even know how to pronouce this, i just hit the keyboard and this name came out)- A fellow Warden that went through training with Aukan. He has sworn to prove he is better than Aukan every since Aukan won the class valedictorian scroll from Warden training school. (or something like that)