Olympia/Thurston County Preppers Message Board › Food's to store

Food's to store

John M.
user 72163002
Yelm, WA
Post #: 1
Just a thought, Some basic staples can be covered by having: Pancake Mix, Peanut Butter, Romen Noodles, things of that nature. These things have a long shelf life and are easily prepared. What are some other ideas of stuff you guys suggest?
harley
user 65700432
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 36
Are you talking long term food storage. I posted links to the "local prepper stores" discussion. Food can be categorized as short term, long term, and renewable. Short term food would be like canned goods and refrigerator stuff. Long term stuff would be stuff that lasts for like 10+ years. Renewable food would be like a garden, animals, foraging, hunting and fishing. All of these food sources have their strengths and weaknesses.
John M.
user 72163002
Yelm, WA
Post #: 2
Really i was just thinking that since all you need to do is add water to pancake mix that it is something easy to store.
harley
user 65700432
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 37
I'm sorry, but you got me all kinds of confused. Are you talking easy to prepare or long term food storage. I don't know too much about pancake mix or peanut butter but a few web sights list the shelf life of these as less than 2 years so I would consider them short term foods. Yes easy to prepare in case of an emergency but not too good for the long haul. We do eat foods that are way past the expiration date. Just ate a pasta the other day from 2005 but for some reason the manufacturer says it's no good. weather it be it goes bad or a break down in nutrients but these foods cannot be trusted. But, If I got a #10 can of noodles that has an expiration of 2043 I think I'll be ok to eat it in 2020. I cannot say the same for a bag of pancake mix.
Des
user 64233562
Olympia, WA
Post #: 2
Most foods with a really long shelf life have a sort of best by date they will still work and don't really go bad but they taste better if you eat them by the4 date. If the world goes to hell in a hand basket I am just happy to have the peanut butter. Also a great way to help with this is to keep them rotating on you shelf, newest to the very back oldest to the front. I think we have about 20 jars of peanut butter thanks to wic and we just eat the oldest first.
harley
user 65700432
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 38
Not a big peanut butter fan so I don't stockpile it. I remember in the Marine Corps getting peanut butter in a MRE and the oil a lot of times was separated. It didn't taste very good. I 100 percent agree with what you're saying that it's ok to eat stuff past their expiration date and I agree that you should rotate your food. If you're preparing for a long term event you should get food for long term storage. I have food that says "best by Nov 2042". I would gladly eat it in 2050. It might not be as fresh but I would be alive. Here's a link to a place that says their powdered peanut butter is good for 10 years. http://store.honeyvil...­
Renewable food sources are a good way to get past short term foods. The only downfall of Renewable foods is that if a disease took out plant life or the sun was blocked out then the renewable source would fail. Long shelf life food is the somewhat guaranteed method for food. A lot of times it's cheaper than short term foods.
Jim N.
Batt1113
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 43
Most of your dry goods can be repackaged using mylar and oxygen absorbers to add to their shel life. The store packaging is neither air tight nor free of oxygen inside, leading to oxidation of the nutrients. I just picked up a case of spagheetti noodles with a box date of july 2015.

Spices, spices, and MORE spices. Cash & Carry 112th/Pacific Ave Tacoma, just south of 512 has restaraunt size spices for 9-22 dollars.

Olive oil and vinegar up the wazoo basalmic, red wine, apple cider, white, rice (seasoned or plain)... they're all good and you will jazz up your menu to the the next notch or two.

Dry bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, and garlic and you have tons of pasta sauce for all... add to that the large economy size dried parmesan cheese (stored in vacuum sealed containers) Yummm