addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Olympia/Thurston County Preppers Message Board › Long term food production (meat)

Long term food production (meat)

leigh g.
user 13542348
Olympia, WA
Post #: 24
Aquaponics? Rabbits? Guinea Pigs? Slugs? Ideas on small scale protein sources?
harley
user 65700432
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 52
chickens have to be the easyist by far. Gives you about an egg a day and they are simple to take care of.
A former member
Post #: 96
We raise American Chinchillas and mixed breed rabbits for meat, also will be getting Australian Spotted ducks and Salmon Faverolles chickens for eggs/meat. Eventually I hope to incorporate some aquaponics so we can raise our own fish. Had a couple Guinea Pigs briefly as pets for the kids - I know they can be raised for meat but they were too noisy for me. We rehomed them lol
Jim N.
Batt1113
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 52
SLUGGGS are protein, but remember that they like to eat feces.... to correctly prepare slugs or snails for human consumption, put the in cornmeal for 2-3 days to purge their nasty little systems of the yeccch stuff. they do cook down incredibly, so a pound of live slugs will probably yield 3-4 ounces of protein.
A former member
Post #: 97
Interesting, but I'd rather raise the ducks that eat the slugs, then eat the ducks ;)