align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Olympia Jazz Central Message Board › A sad day for the community...

A sad day for the community...

Danielle W.
dwestbrook2003
Group Organizer
Olympia, WA
Greetings jazzers,
It's a sad day for the music community as we announce the passing of Bert Wilson, iconic jazz saxophonist, beloved husband to Nancy Curtis, and treasured friend to many.
He is being remembered fondly by many today. Here are a few Facebook posts from only a few of his admirers:
Last night Dr Wheel's passed on to join Bird, Trane, and the other great masters of saxophone. It's the end of an era but his music will always be in our hearts. Ache my dear friend. - Michael Olson
I heard Bert Wilson left us last night due to a heart attack. If so, what a tremendous loss to the scene. I only had the chance to play and hang with him a few times, but he was always very inspiring, encouraging, and helpful, not only to me, but to countless others over the years. - Kareem Kandi
Many years ago I had the pleasure of interviewing and writing a feature article about Bert Wilson, the great Olympia sax player who we lost last night. It was one of the very first of hundreds of music features I would write over the next ten years. Shortly after it was published, I was parked near his house, and he was kind enough to come out of his house and approach me in his motorized wheelchair to tell me it was one of the best articles that had ever been written about him. Even if he was lying to make me feel good, I remember how the article started. "There are some things that Bert Wilson can't do. There are also some things that ONLY Bert Wilson can do."

A truly awesome and unique talent who breathed music and inspired so many local jazz musicians. He will be missed. - Rob Hill

My most memorable moment with Bert Wilson: Bert said to me one night years ago when Lisa Seifert and I were playing at Ruby's restaurant--"Remember: You can play ALL the notes!" - Betsy Holt
A big memorial will be planned in the near future. In the meantime, as Bert would say, "Play your asses off!" and remember Bert with great joy in your heart as you do.
Danielle