addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Omaha Agile Development Message Board › What are some good methods and techniques for onboarding people on an Agile

What are some good methods and techniques for onboarding people on an Agile team when they are new to Agile?

Ronnie T.
user 11822973
Omaha, NE
Post #: 5
- Question was submitted as a burning question prior to this week's session, please help out your fellow peers by responding to this discussion group.
Andy H.
user 33682182
Lincoln, NE
Post #: 1
The way I'm handling is to give responsibility early, and mentor with a focus on iteratively improving the "trainee's" contribution. It reinforces some of the basic concepts of agile, and also gains some early productivity for the delivery team. The new person is going to make mistakes, which is a great opportunity to focus them on learning from mistakes.

Also there is a lot of mutual learning going on between me and my new employees. I am also hearing from my new employees that setting up time to meet all stakeholders in a 1:1 environment is paying off to get an understanding of their role.

The scenario I'm in is onboarding a new product manager in month 11 of introducing Agile in our organization. I had onboarded a new product owner starting in January as well. So I am learning a lot as I go. Right now the product managers are a team of three (including me), and my time is split 60% product management and 40% team management.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of hiring the right person to make this work.

I'm open to other suggestions, but this is working pretty well for me right now.
A former member
Post #: 3
One technique I've used with success, from a technical perspective, is what I'll call "agressive" pairing.

The new person is intentionally paired with every other member of the team for a series of sprints, being part of each card from start to finish. Once that cycle is complete, the individual is given a small card to complete on their own, and the team will offer feedback once complete.

If the team is satisfied with the work (all steps complete, definition of done met, quality of code is high, etc.) then everyone celebrates by taking the team member out for lunch or dinner.

Otherwise, the cycle of pairing is repeated.

It's *not* a hazing technique, nor a test, but a pragmatic way to inject someone into the heartbeat of the team with support and mutual respect.

It will probably not teach them *everything* they will ever need, but it will create relationships that matter and provide enough tribal knowledge that the person can work independently if needed.