addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Omaha Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Editing software

Editing software

Greg S
user 91472002
Omaha, NE
Post #: 1
Hi Everyone! What types of software do you use for editing and production? I know the photoshop product lines dominate this market but I find the photoshop to cumbersome and time consuming. Are there and other really good advanced editors that are easier than photoshop products?

Greg S
user 91472002
Omaha, NE
Post #: 2
i just did a quick google search and found this.. Has anyone used it? Any good?

FOTOR ?

http://mac.appstorm.n...­
Greg S
user 91472002
Omaha, NE
Post #: 3
disregard... FOTAR is great for beginners. It's very easy to use but it only has a small range of tools. I really like the 'selective focus tool' though. It works well and you don't see this tool in many beginners type editors.

Greg S
user 91472002
Omaha, NE
Post #: 10
Crickets..all i hear is crickets. Lol
Bob G.
user 20237811
Omaha, NE
I use a combination of Lightroom 4 for most of my work and occasionally also use Photoshop Elements 11 when I need to get rid of an unwanted object in the photo.
After you get used to Lightroom, you will find that the workflow can move along pretty quick as long as your images are properly exposed.

For real quick and dirty (and free) editing, I like the FastStone editor.

What is it about the Adobe products that you don't like? If its price that is certainly understandable. The big boy (Photoshop CS) is way beyond my budget, But Lightroom isn't too bad. I think it's around $150. They are in beta of version 5 right now and it is adding some interesting features like a healing brush.

I usually shot only in raw and I am often amazed by the way Lightroom can make my pictures "pop"

Hope this helps.
Greg S
user 91472002
Omaha, NE
Post #: 11
Bob Thanks for the reply.
I guess what I don't about adobe products is bloated feautres approach. It seems like the have a lot of good features and tools but its hazy as to which product I should use. I don't know what the different purposes are between products. When is lightroom best? When is photo shop best? When should i use elements instead?

I really do NOT want to buy and install all 3 programs. As a photographer I need to do certain things and I don't need unused features taking up all my system resources.

Help me pick the best product..adobe or other brand..free is my favorite brand!
I need to pocess my photos. .. change contrast. Saturation and exoosure
Tools.. I use cloning a lot to remove background jtems
.. lasso to remove subject and place on different background
..add watermarks
..vignetting
... .I also like the selective focus tool.

Which poduct does these things well without bloating my system resources?

Thanks for your help!

I use a combination of Lightroom 4 for most of my work and occasionally also use Photoshop Elements 11 when I need to get rid of an unwanted object in the photo.
After you get used to Lightroom, you will find that the workflow can move along pretty quick as long as your images are properly exposed.

For real quick and dirty (and free) editing, I like the FastStone editor.

What is it about the Adobe products that you don't like? If its price that is certainly understandable. The big boy (Photoshop CS) is way beyond my budget, But Lightroom isn't too bad. I think it's around $150. They are in beta of version 5 right now and it is adding some interesting features like a healing brush.

I usually shot only in raw and I am often amazed by the way Lightroom can make my pictures "pop"

Hope this helps.

A former member
You can try with Corel PaintShop. It is cheap, easy and you can do many things.
Here is the link for 15 days trial.
http://www.corel.com/...­

Anyway, I still think Photoshop or Lightroom are the best.

A hug.
Fiore,
Greg S
user 91472002
Omaha, NE
Post #: 12
Hi Fiore. Thanks for yor reply and the hug. cool

What do like about each? What of the pupose of lightroom as compared to the purpose of Elements?

A hug.
Fiore,

Greg S
user 91472002
Omaha, NE
Post #: 13
Hi Fiore. Thanks for yor reply and the hug. cool

What do like about each? What of the pupose of lightroom as compared to the purpose of Elements?

A hug.
Fiore,

Bob G.
user 20237811
Omaha, NE
Post #: 2
If you are a beginner at editing and on a budget and had to choose between the two, I would suggest Elements. It gives you a good range of options (I think it has everything on your list above).

Lightroom is more focused on providing a workflow to tweak a large number of photos more quickly. It also provides more "sliders" for tweaking exposure, contrast, colors, etc. Lightroom does not provide the healing and object removal capabilities as Elements does. (At least not in the current release version)

Elements (PSE) is a great little editor at a great price. There are Tons of YouTube videos for PSE describing just about anything ou want to do with your photo

What camera do you have? Do you have the ability to shoot raw? If so, I highly recommend it. Once you start shooting in raw and editing, you will discover so mush more flexibility of control over editing your photos.