Aug 31, 2014 · 12:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
It's been a while since we've had a ride/potluck, so the one and only Katherine Owens is graciously throwing open her home to a small horde of ravenous riders.
This will be a laid-back social ride of about 36 relatively flat miles. We'll be mostly on greenways after the first couple of miles. We'll be on the Walnut Creek Trail for about 10 miles in each direction and the Neuse River Trial for about 6 miles in each direction.
We will aim to get on the bikes within a couple of minutes of noon, so please take this into account if you need to refrigerate your food and/or beverages or otherwise get it situated at Kat's place.
Please use comment section below to tell us what you plan to bring. Check the other dishes first so we end up with a good mix of food, and not just beer and brownies. Kat has a grill. She'll provide burgers and hot dogs, but you are welcome to bring other meat and veggies to throw on.
As always, you'll also need to bring water, a helmet, and a spare tube.
Here is the cue sheet. I'll aim to print out a few extras, but it wouldn't hurt to do so yourself. That said, there aren't a lot of turns anyway.
1. Start out going southwest on Provincial St toward Consortium Dr. (go 0.1 miles)
2. Turn left onto Ileagnes Rd. (go 0.1 miles)
3. Take the 1st left onto Chapanoke Rd. (go 0.8 miles)
4. Take the 2nd left onto Hammond Rd. (go 0.5 miles) (If you reach the end of Chapanoke Rd you've gone a little too far)
5. Take the 1st left onto Rush St. (go 0.3 miles)
6. Take the 1st right onto S Wilmington St. (go 0.9 miles)
7. Where Fayetteville Street forks off to the left, you will see the Walnut Creek Trail to your right (...I think, based on the map I'm looking at). Get onto the greenway and ride 10 miles at a leisurely pace, as if out for a Sunday drive.
8. Turn right onto the Neuse River Trail, toward Clayton, when the Walnut Creek Trail runs into it.
9. You'll get to the Johnston County line after about 6 miles. Look out over the vast frontier and briefly ponder what lies beyond. Once we're all caught up, we'll turn around and head back to Kat's for the potluck, the same way we came.